Kashus

My dog has loose stool he is 9 mos and he is on Blue Buffalo

When i adopted Kashus he was on Purina puppy chow and his poop was horrible. Through-out the 9 mos he has been on Eagle Pack and Blue Buffalo. I know the whole process of weinning them from one food to the other. My real problem seems to be when iam in the middle of the bag he gets loose stool for almost a week!! I know he is not sick becuase i spent alot of money going to vets only to have them tell me he is healthy.....Any advise on good food for an America Bulldog/Mastiff?

Asked by Kashus on Mar 18th 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Bailey

My only suggestion is to keep trying different foods, it may take you months to find a food he does good on but its worth it. Eagle Pack and Blue are good foods, yes, but all dogs are different. Some do wonders on certain foods, others get sick on them. Try a grain-free food like Merrick Before Grain or Taste Of The Wild (good price, the BG is a bit pricey).
All the vets are right, he is almost definitely not sick. Dogs can have loose stools and be completely healthy, my dog gets loose stool quite a lot on every food he's been on, I don't worry about it as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
Just stick with one food and don't feed him anything that might cause him to get a bit sick, like raw meat or really rich treats, while you're "testing" foods so you know whats really making him sick.

Bailey answered on 3/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When he starts getting the lose stool, add some canned pumpkin to his food. Just a few tbsp full of it. Not the pie filling, just good ol' plain canned pumpkin. Also, invest in a good probiotic. My favorite is made by Nzymes and is called Backpack Plus.
If it continues (give about 4 weeks on the probiotic as long as its not clearly harming him), try switching to a novel food source... Natural Balance has some venison or duck formulas, Orijen has fish, etc etc. I'm thinking maybe even Blue has some novel protein formulas. Just make sure the new food has calcium/phosphorus levels of 1.5% and 1% respectively (give or take) to prevent any growth disorders as he is a growing big boy!!!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oh boy! Poor you and poor Kashus, too!
How about you continue with the 2 foods you are mixing. I would add 1 metamucil cookie to his diet in the am-
The cookies are apple cin flavored...YOU can give 1 metamucil cookie safely to your dog each day.

YOUR dog will love this flavored cookie that give some added bulk to the stool.

Also, I would go with 1 Supplement per day : see here for more info:

Shih tzu with Loose poops:

en.allexperts.com