My dog has been troubled with soft stools/diarrhea very smelly gas, and burping for quite a while now. What can I do?

I have been working with our vet and have tried a lot of things (several medications, changes in dog food) without success. He is an advocate of Ralston-Purina dog food which is very good, but we have tried all the options they have. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I am willing to make her dog food if it helps.

Asked by Member 966150 on Feb 19th 2010 Tagged health, ibs, foodissues in Health & Wellness

Answers

Actually, that food is a REALLY low quality food.

Have you tried her on a food that doesn't have so many by-products or bad grains in it? Brands to look at are Wellness, Canidae, California Natural or Orijen. They have truly superior ingredients to foods like Purina or Science Diet or Iams.

Now, having said that, she may have a food allergy to a common ingredient like chicken which wouldn't help her too much. So, I'd start with an elimination diet. Try switching her to a brand that's higher quality first, then try a protein and a carb she's never had before. For example, try her on a formula that has fish and sweet potato instead of chicken and corn which would probably have been in the Purina.

Any treats need to be the same formulation and keep her on it for a good month or two. If there's no improvement, I'd be surprised.

As far as making food, you CAN, but it's complicated for a dog like this and I'd try this first.

Any change in food should be gradual to avoid tummy upset.

Hector

I have all 4 of my dogs on home made dog food. It consists of real meat, lean, very little fat, and plenty of protien.(Senior dog gets less protien) I also add canned dog food, to get in any nutrients and some fats, that home made leaves out. Of course they have dry kibbles available to them 24/7. I have been fortunate to not have diarrhea problems with any of them. Their teeth are in great condition, no bad breath, their weights are all on target which is important for my super large senior dog, who supposedly has hip dysplasia, but it hasn't manifested yet, at 9 years old. My vet agrees with the diet.

Feel free to pawmail me if you would like details on their diets.

You didn't mention the breed, some sensitive breeds can't handle certain types of meat, it is hard on their liver and kidneys. In this case, it is a method of elimination. Anything you try, give it a few days before making your judgment. Keep trying, you will find what works best for you dog.

Good luck

Hector answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Before changing food again, I would change vets. We have had 21 dogs and never changed food to solve a digestive problem.

Oh, the people bashing Purina don't have any evidence to back their allegations, none, ziltch, de nada. In fact most of our dogs were eating a Purina product.

Baxter

dirrehea as in a water fountain is bad.
If it is like a water fountain that could be a bacterial infection.
have you tested for Gardia parasite?
If it is the food then try a grain free one and I know with the Candidea food one dog belched like that and had horrid gas. It was the food.
Candidea is made by Diamond.
The only thing I seen in the store that Might be ok. Is Avoderm Beef sold at petsmart
Other then that what type of dog do you have?
How old is the dog?
And does the dog have any medical problems.?
Many dog foods can make a dog have horrid gas. That one dog would be my Baxter, he can drop bombs you have never experienced before. I feed him raw now and his gas is SO much BETTER!!

Baxter answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maverick

Poor little thing. I know that can not be fun for either of you! I work for Nutro and would recommend looking at the Natural Choice line. You can find the food at Petco, Petsmart, Tractor Supply, and other pet specialty stores. They have a food recommended for sensitive systems especially sensitive tummies! They have three different formulas so that if your dog is sensitive to one of the protein sources you still have two other options. They have a venison, herring, and chicken formula to try! I would recommend trying the herring or venison first and doing so very slowly by changing her food over a week. The food has a protein source as the first ingredient so it is full of protein. They use rice instead of corn so it is easily digestible and no chicken by-product meal (the heads, feet, and intestines) which may be found in other foods. The food is also free of artificial colors and preservatives!
Hope she gets better soon!
Check out the website at:
www.thenutrocompany.com

Maverick answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joy Aleyah Burgett

You should probably go with a raw and/or natural food diet. Do your research and maybe you could cook for him yourself!!

Joy Aleyah Burgett answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You can feed plain yogurt to your dog every day.... a tablespoon or two. This will help with the flatulence. If it looks like the dog has a belly ache (bloated) you can give a tums. *Note, these measurments are for a big dog (over 50lbs).

I would like to say to the person who posted there is no proof that the expensive food is better. I have proof. I used to feed a dog my family had generic food until I started working for a Vet. I got a discount so I started purchasing Science Diet (this was over twenty years ago) for our Lab. Within two weeks we noticed his coat was shiny and soft, it had never been noticeable before and his eyes were brighter and he much more energy.

I sure wish I could afford it today!