Tyson

My dog has a red bump directly above his toe nail :((

My dogs bump has a deep red color to it, and is growing hair.
My mom said the bump has a "nose" to it . I guess she means the holes. I don't know what she means. Maybe it's just late.

It probably has been there for a month or two now. Thought I would wait for it to go away, but I'm starting to get worried.

He has had nails come off before, because he is so playful, but I don't remember a nail coming off from that toe.
He doesn't lick it much, so I'm guessing it doesn't hurt him a lot.
He doesn't act different either.

SIDE NOTE:
My dog is a white boxer.
He is a year and two months old.
He is deaf.
I put sunscreen on him every time we go out to prevent sun damage.

PICTURE:
i40.tinypic.com

Please help me figure this out, thank you so much in advanced !!!!!

Asked by Tyson on May 29th 2013 Tagged bump, lump, red, hair, infection, health, paw, paws, toe, nail, toenail, help, picture, please in Illness & Disease

Answers

I would have a vet check it out to make sure it's nothing serious. Good Luck!

Roxy

Roxy had this same thing on one of her toes, and although the cause was undetermined, best guess was that she got bit/stung by something and it caused inflammation.
We took her the vet and they gave her antibiotics to heal it up and we never had another issue with it so far.

Roxy answered on 5/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boxers, especially white ones, are especially prone to mast cell tumors, which frequently show up on the legs and feet first. These tumors are not usually painful and do often have hair growing from them.
While they can successfully be removed if done early, they can be a very serious tumor and you should have this looked at by your veterinarian ASAP.
Any strange lump or bump on any dog which is there for more than a week or so should be examined by your vet to rule out more serious issues. Many times just a few weeks can mean the difference between something easily treated or something which has become very serious and will require more intensive treatment.

One of my dogs had a bright red tumor on her chest when I was a kid. She also had light skin. It was biopsied and found to be benign. For a lump, it's off to the vet for this family..