My dog has a rash due to his collar. How do I treat it?

Asked by Member 775243 on Dec 1st 2008 in Skin Problems

Answers

I am not sure what type of collar your using, if it is nylon some dogs can be allergic so maybe switching to a leather one may help. I would try and keep a collar off him until the neck heals, maybe you could get him a harness for now. You didn't say how bad the rash was so only you can decide whether a appointment is needed now for your fur pal. If you decide to wait and see I would at least wash it with an antibacterial soap and try to keep him from scratching it. If he does start to scratch at it, put socks on his hind legs (I know it is funny, but it does work) to stop his nails from making the rash worse. If it looks like it is getting worse or possibly infected a vet visit is in order. Hope he feels better very soon.

I agree that you may want to switch to a harness until the rash heals. Also if your dog swims a lot you may want to use leather instead of nylon because it dries quicker. A warm, moist area like your dogs neck under his collar will only breed bacteria.

If the skin looks really sore you can check your drugstore for non-toxic lotion (look in the baby section, soothing creams for diaper rash might even help), many of them reduce itching or act as antiseptics but you have to assume your dog will lick it, and dogs have very sensitive skin so it might be best just to get something from a vet if you can afford it.