jackson

my dog gets very ranky after a cuple days after grooming/bath. How do i make my dog smell better for longer? HELP!!!!!!

HELP???????????

Asked by jackson on Nov 19th 2007 in Bathing

Answers

~Emma~ RL1

Well sometimes you can find these pet wipes in your local petsmart/petco that will cut down on the smell and make the coat look shiny. There is also pet spray (perfume for dogs?). I give Em a bath every week and a half, but I have used both these items if she gets alittle rank in between times. (my experience anyway.) Hope that helps.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 11/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Reesy

I saw on your page you feed your dog Beneful. Changing your dogs food from a very low quality food to a high quality low grain/free grain food will dramatically improve your dogs coat and oil secretion. You would notice your dog no longer being smelly as often if at all, unless playing outside in the dirt of course.

My first dog I made the mistake of feeding low quality food and she always smelt like feet and Frito's or salt and vinegar chips. Her hair was not nearly as soft and she seemed to oily. I changed her food and slowly continued to upgrade to where I'm at now and the transformation has been amazing. Now I give her a bath once a month and she is beautiful and smells like a normal dog with little smell, instead of a stinky dog.

Reesy answered on 11/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Reesy gave a very intelligent answer.

The type of food you feed a dog can play a major role in a great variety of things, such as: the dog's body odor, the size and consistency of their stools, the coat and skin, even such things as ear infections and allergies.

I know many people simply take "body odor" for granted in dogs, but when it comes down to it, most of us are creating the body odor by what we feed. A dog that is fed a quality diet does not have or develop "dog smell" (unless he is wet, of course). My dog, who is raw fed, does not have "dog smell" and does not require frequent bathing or trips to the groomers.

On a scale of dog food quality, Beneful unfortunately ranks at the very bottom. It's just not a good food. There are some quality kibbles out there but you won't find them at the supermarket. Even the big pet chain stores hardly carry any really good foods. Many smaller pet stores do, though, or will order them for you.

www.dogfoodproject.com for more food info.

Chloe

I just had to chime in that it is VERY likely the food...because when looking closer at your picture:YOU'RE A SHELTIE!

I remember chatting in a forum about how FEW times many of us sheltie owners take our dogs a bath - many ranging in the months! (us included)

Some long haired dogs immediately get that "dog smell" once dried just because they were never dried under a hairdryer to begin with, (www.drsfostersmith.com ).But we're equipped with a double coat, including an outer hardy coat.Since you mentioned it happened in a couple of days, this signifies that having a wet dog is not the case.

It definitely is food; and not only the benefits of losing that smell,but also the lessened smell of stool, and in some cases, better teeth.We eat Wellness,www.oldmotherhubbard.com ,and believe me, a little more dough goes a long way to making our lives more than just less smellier.

PS:Join Sheltie sites/groups & learn!:)

Chloe answered on 11/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer