♥ Sampson ♥

My dog can't keep his right eye open

I put my dog in his pen because we were about to leave then my grandmother said look at his eye so I looked and he couldn't keep it open he kept blinking.

Asked by ♥ Sampson ♥ on Jun 2nd 2009 Tagged hurt, eye, blink, sad, see, putup, pen, puppy, newfoundland, bordercollie in Health & Wellness

Answers

If this happened suddenly with no discharge or previous signs of infection, it's very likely that there was an injury to his eye. This can happen when you're not looking at him and he may not have even yelped. But, it's definitely important to take him to the vet immediately because any time there is a symptom that involves the eyes, it needs to be taken care of.

Even if a few hours pass and he seems fine, it's still best to get it checked out by your vet. The vet will put special drops in the eye and look at it through high powered glasses and a black light to see if there is any serious injury to the eye or scratch to the cornea. This is something you CANNOT see on your own and often dogs appear okay, so it's quite important to have this done.

It could also be a simple eye infection which needs inexpensive eye drops to cure. Usually the infection comes on less suddenly and is accompanied by pawing at the eye and discharge.

Good luck with him!

Leila

This happens to my dog & cat sometimes. Our backyard has lots of loose dirt & so when I throw Leila's ball for her dust particals will get in her eye. It got flushed out shortly after & she was fine again. My cat does the same thing except his eye seems to be blinking continuously & is mostly closed like how you explained your dog looks like. Wait a few days to see if it gets better, after that go to a vets or try to flush it out with some water.

Leila answered on 6/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer