Brooklyn Zoo

My dog burps A LOT!

I don't know if it really that normal for a dog to burp as much and as load as my dog. It really dose sound like a grown man! she burps at least 10 times a day is this normal?

Asked by Brooklyn Zoo on Nov 11th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

It sounds fine to me, but I don't know for sure. My dog burps after he eats his supper.

Sadie

I don't know if that is normal. My dog burps alot too and I think when she eats too fast she swallows air and maybe that is the reason but I don't know. I am not a Vet so I can't tell you for sure but It probably isn't anything to be worried about. It's like some people pass a lot gas and some don't. I suppose dogs are the same.

Sadie answered on 11/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rascal

I burp all the time too. Sometimes louder than others but being only 4 pounds my burps sound like baby burps. My doctor said it was perfectly normal. :-)

Rascal answered on 11/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Burping for the most part is normal and safe, but for the particular breed and size of your dog, you should probably read up on bloat and how to recognize the symptoms as dogs that tend to burp a lot for some reason also show a tendency toward having bloat at some point.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 11/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SHADE

YES!! She isnt very lady like at all! She will have something to eat and within an hour of eating her food she will always want fussing and burp a few times.
Visitors think she is quite amusing doing this!

SHADE answered on 11/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Agador Spartacus, CGC

What are you feeding him/her? Burping is normal, especially after eating. Maybe some pepcid AC for his/her tummy may help.

Agador Spartacus, CGC answered on 11/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jax

Mom asked the vet as I don't just burp, I can belch louder than daddy.... The vet said that all dogs are gassy, and that it's gonna come out of one end or the other and to just be thankful for what mom and dad got.... BOL.

Plus, think of it as a fun party trick....

Jax answered on 11/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sofia

Hi Brooklyn! We used to live in Brooklyn!
I always burp after I eat. Mom thinks it's funny, not sure if it's common or normal. On the other hand, my brother Wexford never burps.

Looking forward to the other responses.

~Sofia

Sofia answered on 11/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes it is normal! It's as normal as flatulence. It's the body's way of expelling excess gas, caused by ingestion of air or, most commonly, the result of digestion of certain foods.

Do you scarf your food? Drink a large volume of water in a short period of time? If so, this could increase the amount of gaseous expulsions.

I myself take pride in my voluminous burps, and Mom praises me for them!

Bear

I actually burp as loud as a person. I must admit that it is NOT indigestion ... I do it because it is funny and people laugh. After I burp, I give them a big grin. That's another "gift" that I have. I usually try to do it when we are out and around people because than people think it is my Mom and they stare at her. I don't think they believe her when she points at me.

Anyway ... enjoy the fun of it!

By the way ... is that a blanket on your head?

Bear answered on 11/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bonnie Brilynn

Normal... which of our dogs is actually normal? ;-)
OK, seriously now, it all depends on the individual dog. Some burp more (my Rott'n one was world champion, paws down), some less (Bonnie will announce that dinner was satisfactory by issuing only one long, loud, hearty burp).
Does Brooklyn "wolf" down her food? All that air she swallows has to go somewhere. Does she show any sign of discomfort before or after burping? In that case you might want to check with your vet, just to be on the safe side. Sometimes just a minor diet adjustment can do wonders (my Sheppie was horribly.. uh... flatulent. Switched food and he became actually tolerable).
Ether way, if Brooklyn doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort I wouldn't worry too much. If her burping bothers you or you're not sure whether there may be a health issue, reexamine her diet first and try to identify any possible "burp intensifiers" (i.e. yogurt makes Bonnie belch like a champ!) and take it from there.

Bonnie Brilynn answered on 11/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Imagine a 6.5 pound dog burping like a grown man!! Yes, it's normal, this little girl burps a couple of times after every meal. My other dog has only burped once that I can remember and that was me burping him patting his back mimicking a guest with a baby. It surprised us both and I won't go around patting dogs on the back with them over my shoulder, lol (even the baby started laughing).

Angel Boy Adam ChewbaccaNPC

HaHa mommy says I bealch like a drunk collage frat boy after I drink water really fast. She also says I can peel the pain off the walls with my farts and some of them are loud enough to hear so my granny thinks mommy did it instead of me. I like to get right up 9n mommys face when I bealch to make sure she knows it was me. When it is really bad she gives me cold chamomile tea, she also gives me Stomach Comfort and here is a description of it Stomach Comfort [Digestive]. This formula provides natural ingredients to help nutritionally support digestion in times of occasional stomach upset. It contains calcium carbonate, alginic acid (from kelp), wintergreen oil, papaya fruit, slippery elm bark, licorice root concentrate and ginger rhizome, all of which may help to protect the mucous lining of the esophagus, aid and promote digestion, and soothe the digestive tract.. This is stuff she uses as well so she knows it is safe and has check with my vet as well. Adam Chewbacca

Angel Boy Adam ChewbaccaNPC answered on 11/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer