My dog barks at people that come to my house.

My rescue dog Boomer is 3 years old and since the day I got him when people come in the house he barks continously at them. Its more of a scared bark but it scares other people and it is annyoing. He is a sort of hound dog beagle lab mix so he does this howl thing and backs away from them. It seems to be getting worst like he won't let anyone touch him. I would like for him to stop but when I ask him to but at the same time if someone random comes in and Im not around I want him to give a scary bark. I just don't know how to distinguish to two for him.

Asked by Member 755177 on Oct 19th 2008 Tagged barking, scaredpeople in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chanel (Rehomed)

What you need to do is scold them and sort of raise your voice. Clap and snap your fingers, and usually it helps. Try putting him in a sit, stay position, and keep eye contact with him while you are answering the door also. I learned that from Victoria Stillwell. If none of these things work, watch It's Me or The Dog, on Animal Planet, and some of their dogs have problems like yours. That's where Victoria Stillwell comes in. It's on every Saturday night, I think.

Chanel (Rehomed) answered on 10/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlotte

It sounds to me like Boomer is trying to tell you that he's not comfortable in the situation. This is something that my own dog struggles with at times. I believe that the best thing to do is going to be to teach Boomer that new people equal extra tasty treats. I'd start by having a friend come to your house loaded down with dog treats. Not just kibble either. Get out the really good stuff like cheese, chicken, bacon pieces. As soon as the door is opened, have your friend toss a few treats Boomer's way. Once he eats those, have the friend step inside and toss some more treats. Continue this with your friend tossing the treats closer and closer to themself, until Boomer is willing to take it out of a hand. This make take some time (ie days or weeks) to happen, but you are teaching Boomer to trust. This is a situation that will take a lot of hard work to rectify, but if can be done. Just be patient and let him come to the person on his own terms. Do not force the interaction!

Charlotte answered on 10/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxie

Charlotte gave some good advice. I just want to add please tell the people coming in not to stand over Boomer or make eye contact with him. This can be intimidating for a shy dog and when they give him treats tell them not to try and pet him or approach him until he gets better with them being around.

Roxie answered on 10/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer