My dog always get's an infected ear and if anybody knows a good brand of dog food that will help that to get that better

So my CKCS always gets an infected ear so we took him to the vet and the vet said that he thinks it is because of the food so we gave us Eukanuba Veterinary Diets, but i looked up that food on the internet and it only got 2/5 starts on www.dogfoodadvisor.com
So i wanna ask if anybody knows a better dog food brand that will help his ear?
Thanks!

Asked by Member 971059 on May 2nd 2010 Tagged eukanuba, ear, infection, cavalier in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Chronic ear infections can most definitely be caused by food allergy... it is actually pretty common!!! Two of my poodles and one French Bulldog all had this problem, they completely cleared up when I switched them to Blue Buffalo from Purina Pro Plan as they were apparently allergic to either corn or chicken. The Frenchie was also chronically licking her feet and that stopped, too.
There are a bunch of different GOOD foods that you should try... I would look for something that is grain free, and probably avoid chicken for starters. I am sure someone will pop in with a list of better choices for you, but off the top of my head I come up with Merrick before grain, Wellness Core, Taste of the Wild, and there are others as well. NONE of these foods will cost as much as the Eukanuba Vet. Diet, either!!! Your Dog Food Advisor link will help you chose one, as well.
Good luck!!

answered on May 2nd.

Answers

I would try a different vet. There all all sorts of claims made for food, but I doubt if changing the food will make any difference.

Hector

I have to agree with Aster, it is unlikely that a dog food will cause a chronic ear infection. What we feed our dogs can cause food allergies, but ear infections aren't an allergy.

Some dogs are prone to ear infections. If you have your dog groomed, be sure the groomer isn't snipping hair on inside of ear, tiny pieces of hair fall back inside, and can reek havoc. Inside hair is there for protection.

New spring blooms can cause ear infections a well, tiny seeds from plants can fall in the ear, and cause infection.

Of course there is always the ear mite that drive dogs nuts.

Get a second opinion, some good antibiotics, and ear wash from the new vet.

I don't know of a better dog food brand, but I home prepare my dogs food. Works out really good for us, dogs are happy and healthy and love their food.

Good luck, hope you get that ear infection cleared soon!!!

Hector answered on 5/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If the ear infection is yeast, then dog food can most certainly be the culprit! If you feed a grain-heavy food, then those grains convert into sugars. What does yeast feed off of? None other than sugars. It continues a vicious cycle!

If your vet has cultured the ear and it is indeed yeast, then you want to try a grainfree food, and add a good probiotic (good bacteria, to help keep the yeast at bay). If it's a bacterial infection, then it's likely not diet related and you'll need to figure out another solution.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 5/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Eukanuba is a horrible brand. I would highly recommend you switch to a better food. My dogs have never had an ear infection.

I highly recommend:

Orijen
Solid Gold
Merrick B.G.
Timberwolf

Here are the website for the food I listed:

www.beforegrain.com

www.orijen.ca

www.solidgoldhealth.com

www.timberwolforganics.com

Some foods don't work on some dogs. All dogs have a different digestive system. I highly recommend you check out these foods. You may find some of these food brands at your pet store.

What's REALLY in pet food?:

www.bornfreeusa.org

Actually, your vet is RIGHT to recommend a look at his food with these symptoms.

In dogs, symptoms of food allergies (probably better described as intolerances) are different than people. One of the main signs of food intolerances is recurrent ear infections, actually, as is red, itchy paws or constant scratching in the absence of fleas. Gastrointestinal symptoms are (surprisingly) hardly ever present unless the intolerance is very severe.

Grains may be the culprit, but the most common dog food intolerance is actually chicken. So what you need to do is an elimination diet on a GOOD food. An elimination diet is strict feeding for two months or so with ONLY the new food (treats must be from the same formula) so that you can narrow down the ingredients that might cause trouble.

The food must have a protein (and carb, if applicable) that has NEVER been fed to the dog before. Fish and sweet potato, for example.

Try Wellness allergy formula kibble and/or wet food in combo.

Ikan

A lady i know had a lab that got ear infections often. He told her to use a lamb and rice fomula. After being on it a couple of months the ear infections did go away. I can contact her and ask what food she used if you would like.

Ikan answered on 5/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The vet could be wrong to some extent.
Do a process of elimination.
Switch to a grain free food for a month.
Make sure the dog has clean ears daily
Make sure the dog has not got any bacteria from say any ponds or lakes in his ears.
Find a better vet to say swab his ears and see what exactly is wrong with his ears.
It may or may not have anything to do with dog food or it can be.
If your vet didn't do a swab then he is Guessing. And we don't like a vet that does that. It is his job to do this to find out Why.
:) good luck and I hope you find the answer to the dog's problem. Feel better.

Petri

A great food you can try is Holistic Select. It doesn't contain the grains that can cause allergies. Also, a fantastic Ear Cleaner is PETfection Ear Cleaner Spray. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and works extremely well at cleaning out the infection, reducing inflammation, and preventing it from coming back. I find it works better than the washes the vet sells. You can check it out at www.mypetfection.com. Hope this helps!

Petri answered on 5/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer