My daschund got bitten by our other dog (a shepard/retriever mix) yesterday morning.

My daschund (he is 3) got bitten by our other dog (a shepard/retriever mix) yesterday morning. He has one wound on his neck that looks like it is healing and the swelling is down, though it looked kind of deep, and another wound on his shoulder that seemed very tender, but looks like it is healing. Last night he wasn't really interested in food or treats and kept trembling like he was cold or nervous. He would get up and walk around but didn't want to respond to us calling him. This morning his nose also was dry and his actual body felt cold. I gave him some water, but haven't tried food yet. Does this sound like a normal reaction (like maybe he is nervous or still in a little pain so he is acting weird) or does this sound like something a bit more serious (where I should take him to the vet).

Asked by Member 1012068 on Nov 16th 2010 Tagged bite, daschund, drynose, infection in Health & Wellness

Answers

Petri

Take him to the vet. Puncture wounds can contain all kinds of bacteria and germs transferred from the other dogs mouth. If not properly cleaned and inspected it can lead to infections carried throughout the body.

Petri answered on 11/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Mischief BN

it sounds like he's in shock,which can be the result of an infection. it's vet time, an emerency, 24 hr type if you can't get in at the regular vet.

Mischief BN answered on 11/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kazba

I know some dogs will not eat and my be a bit withdrawn, but this sounds like it may be a bit more serious. I think a vet visit may be a good idea just to get something to deal with the wounds.

Kazba answered on 11/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer