Maisy

My boxer died next to my bed :( and we can't get the smell out of the carpet where he defecated... Help?

I sadly found my 9 year old boxer dead next to my bed this week. It was a heartbreaking shocker...

Unfortunately, he defecated a horrible tar like substance on our carpet. We have used our carpet cleaner, put down baking soda and used oxy-clean and their is still a horrible smell.

Any good (cheap) options we haven't tried yet? I'm about ready to throw bleach on the carpet as I can't bare the smell and reminder :(

Asked by Maisy on Oct 2nd 2009 in Odor Eliminators

Answers

Fritz

I'm very sorry for your loss.

You might try calling a professional carpet cleaner person and asking advice about what cleaners to use.

If you are not worried about changing the carpet color, maybe try deskunking formula. Made from peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap, I am sure it would bleach your carpet but maybe the smell would go away.

Fritz answered on 10/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

KOA

Very sorry to hear about your Boxer.

For the odor, try Nature's Miracle Advance Formula. You need to find the right enzyme to counteract the odor enzyme...typical cleaning products cannot do this.

I've also been told that vinegar also works to counteract pet odors..

KOA answered on 10/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Molly♥

i don't know any answers to your question! sorry! but i really want to say i'm sorry for your loss of you beautiful only 7 months old boxer! i really wanted to send you a sympathy pawmail..but, you have requested that only dogsters that know your email can send you pawmail and be your friend. soo can you please pawmail me and send send me a pup-pal request? thank you! again i am sooo, sooo sorry for you loss; of your sweet maisy!!!

♥Molly♥ answered on 10/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

K-10 Von Canein

Hartz pet stain and odor remover. I am so sorry for your loss, but instead of grieving for your loss, I will grieve for your present situation. Hartz pet stain and odor remover, used twice as strong as rec'd on the bottle and rubbed into the carpet harshly, then rinsed later on will do the trick. If it has been more than a day or two, you may have to repeat the process. This stuff does not bleach the carpet, at least it did not bleach ours in cat vomit, etc. I feel so sorry for your loss, and I hope you find the kindness in your heart to get another dog.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 10/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm sorry for your loss. It must have been a terrible shock

Try naphtha. It's a generic cleaner available at big box home improvement stores. Professional carpet cleaners use it to spot clean.

Jet

I am so sorry for your loss. We will be praying.

I would try Nature's Miracle, or a pro carpet cleaner.

Jet answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cujo

I am so sorry for your loss. :(
To get rid of an awful reminder, use Odoban odor and stain remover. It is an enzyme cleaner we have been using for accident spots with our new puppy. It works great. If it is not fresh, we use Woolite pet+oxygen deep stain remover afterwards. With the first product, spray it on and blot it up. Then spray the woolite on, and let it sit five minutes before soaking up. These are the best things I have found yet, leaving no smell behind, and they can be found at Walmart for less than 6 bucks a piece.

Cujo answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mikey

I'm so sorry for your loss.
The smell may have worked it's way past the carpet and into the carpet pad and then into the subfloor. It's hard to eliminate odor when it's two layers deep unless you pull the carpet back and work on it that way.

Mikey answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

I am so so sorry. I know that doesn't help but, losing a loved fur baby is always so hard.
I would agree with a couple of the others about natures miracle! It has worked great and doesn't bleach your carpet.

Maverick answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Little Bear

I'm so sorry for your loss and heartbreak. I've been in a similar spot. I added vinegar to the detergent used in my carpet cleaner and had to clean the area 3 to 4 times to get the smell out. If your carpet cleaner is lightweight, you may want to rent a heavy duty one -- one that really will suck out the water, detergent, and neutralizing agent (vinegar or over-the-counter.) You'll know when you've gotten it all by the color of your discard water. When you are grieving for your beloved pet, the last thing you need is to have to deal with such an odorous problem. Until the smell is gone completely, use Frebreze (that stuff really helps...) Good luck to you on the carpet. May it comfort you to know that at least your dog went quickly and hopefully did not suffer. May you get to the place where you can celebrate your Boxer's well lived life and keep happy memories safe in your heart. Try not to dwell on his death and visualize him happy over the Rainbow Bridge..

Little Bear answered on 10/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer