Maddy

My Bosotn Terrier has a VERY sensitive stomach and it seems that every food we try doesnt work and gives her bad gas and

Asked by Maddy on May 1st 2009 Tagged food in Pet Food

Answers

Winnie

My brother in law was going through the same thing. He has a Boston Terrier with a sensitive stomach. every food she would throw up. She also had bad gas.
He feeds Science Diet PD and his dog has come along way. I know there are alot of people on here who bash Science Diet, but I know it worked for him and his dog.

Winnie answered on 5/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Does he switch the foods cold turkey, or does he gradually switch them? Switching them gradually over the period of a week makes for less stomach issues. And the dog will need an 8 week trial period on each food to see if it works.
Here are two website where you can learn about dog foods:
dogfoodanalysis.com
dogfoodproject.com

There are studies to back up their claims, despite what a few others says on the content of those websites.

Some answers on here may claim that ingredients don't matter, which is a laughable statement. "Oh, my dog food has dirt as the first ingredient! Oh well, it don't matter...it'll keep my dog healthy as rain!" ROFL
Corn and grains are simply a useless filler in dog food, and food with soy in it will cause gas.
Dogs are carnivores and need a food that has meat as the first (main) ingredient.

Hello Little boston! Yes, I can help you - here are some tips:
Can you do some home cooking for this baby ? Is it possible for you to do this????
There is one brand I love - but it requires you to do a little work: It is called SoJO - this is a Natural and Holistic feeding program - SoJo sends you the mix ( free shipping right to your door) and you add the fresh chicken or turkey and lightly cook it.
*You can do red meats only 1 x per week... NOT too good for the belly of a sensitive belly. Stick with the white meats...lamb is fine, too.
SoJo site is here- You cook up enough for a week and freeze individual poritons - take out what you need daily - VERY easy to do - you set it all up 1 day for the whole week.
YOUR baby should LOVE the sojo mixes.. and MOMS cooking...
GET the green bag - this is the grain-free- SoJO
www.sojos.com
MIX the old food and the SoJo for 2 weeks... then go 100% NEW grain free SoJo

Baxter

Boston terriers are known as the gassy guss of the world. They are probaly 90% this way.
I have problems no matter what food I feed all dogfood and home cooked portions give them gas. You might want to try a solid gold product, but no guarantee he won't gas it too. My dog is going to be 9 yrs. in August so if you find a food that doesn't do this pass on the info to me, cause I have tried it all. I think

Baxter answered on 5/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Have you talked to your vet about the problem? Soft stools are often caused by parasites and perhaps the gas by something. How much variety have you tried? Several different chicken and rice brands doesn't get you away either. Although most dogs will thrive on most chows regardless of the ingredients, there are a few dogs that are sensitive to this or that. I don't follow the logic that because a few dogs have trouble with an ingredient, it shouldn't be fed to any. Since almost everything bothers some dogs, there would be nothing left.

Have you tried a short time bland diet, just boiled rice and chicken? I will PM details.

There are no studies comparing the health of dogs eating different diets available to the public. I won't speculate on why people keep claiming there are ones, but can't supply any links to them. There never will be any proving dogs don't do well on the common brands because in the real world, so many do. You must discard much reality to claim otherwise.

Saying that ingredients aren't important in a dog food is laughable. There are plenty of studies that show a diet with quality meat ingredients and quality ingredients over all do have an effect on the health of our pets. Just as diet influences our health it does our pets as well. All one needs is a simple understanding of the dogs digestive system to know why these cheap fillers aren't needed. Dogs don't need grains or carbs. There are several places one can find this simple information NRC, Whole dog journal, and many of the big box companies have put out information showing that dogs do best with lots of quality meat. Sadly they don't take their own advice and still produce crappy food. All gave great advice with the excpetion of Aster. You should check out the Nutrition forum here. There are lots of helpful pups who have been through the same thing.

Darcy

My Boston, Darcy, just turned 1. We just started switching her over to adult food. The vet told us to do it gradually because it can upset her stomach, but yes, my dog gets very gassy, even when we do something as simple as give her a new type of treat. The food we had her on was Innova, and we now have her on EVO small bites (there is actually a Boston on the bag). She seems to really like the food, she is still a little gassy, but like I said, even a new treat seems to do that o her. Another thing, my vet said that there are 2 things to look for when picking a food: 1. That it's first ingredient listed is meat and 2. That it is tested by AAFCO. Good luck... your pup is a real cutie!

Darcy answered on 5/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We had the same problem - ditto on switching to new food slowly. Our dog has no gas with the Eukenuba Maintenance Formula - but they have one specifically for Sensative stomache and has a Boston pic on the front. We had tried the gas reducing pellets, yogurt (vet recommended it), this is the only thing that worked and cleared it up completely. Some treats will also cause problems, we can't give our Meaty Bones biscuits - causes diarreah and gas...

Hi,
I have a one year old Boston who had terrible gas. She would fart every 15 minutes and stink!!! It was so bad we had candles going non-stop and carried air freshener around with us. We tried many foods - pumpkin with the food - yogurt - even anti gas pills. She is now on Blue Buffalo limited ingredient Turkey and Potato and I also raised her food dishes off the ground. The problem has pretty much disappeared. Hope this helps.