Wrigley

My almost-4-month old puppy is not learning bite inhibition!

We have tried everything: yelping, ignoring, "leave it," clicking & treating when he stops biting, giving a toy, etc, and nothing works! He is biting harder every day, and has drawn blood. As far as I can tell, it's in play, or to get attention, but how can I really tell that it's not aggressive? He is in puppy classes, and we have asked the trainer for the past 2 weeks, but she thinks it's perfectly normal and says to just give him a toy. We switch up his toys to keep him interested, he has plenty of chew toys, gets exercise and lots of attention. He'll drop even his favorite toy to bite our legs. We now try to ignore when biting and then give attention when he stops, but it is becoming harder to ignore it because it hurts! We've tried to leave the room, but it's hard to do when he's attached to our ankles. We tried shake can, holding snout w/ "no," forcing a down, but those didn't work and we'd rather not do that anyway.

How can I be sure it's just a phase and won't become lifelong?

Asked by Wrigley on Mar 13th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

First, he is 4 mos old. You say you've tried AT LEAST 8 different methods. Since the average puppy comes home at 8 weeks old, that is hardly enough time to do any of those methods consistently for long enough that you'll see results. Pick a method (preferably the yelp/ignore/leave the room one) and stick with it.

Also, puppies learn a lot from other dogs and puppies. Find some friends who have stable, well-behaved adults or take a puppy kindergarten class so that he can be taught by other dogs how hard is too hard.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I have to agree with Bam-Bam, stick with suggested method of training and be consistent.
Deogie was a nipper but we worked through it and you can has well. Yelping and ignoring was the first step. Changing up the way the boys played with Deogie was the next step. They would try to wrestle with Deogie, this encouraged Deogie to bite. Allowing teeth on body was never encouraged and after a few temper tantrums from me, the boys soon realized where I was going with my training. We needed to be calm, any excited play made Deogie's brain switch to the puppy crazies. Bitter Apple sprayed on our pant legs soon made Deogie realize humans tasted awful.
Try to correct before he bites. You must know Wrigley enough now to know when he's going to attach himself to your leg.
This is your first pup, have patience and be consistent with any positive training method you may choose.
Have a good one.

Nova

Puppies at this age are still teething and very immature. They have tons of energy. Nova was still nippy at this age but now that she's 7 months she doesn't do it. She started to learn that when she got rough I didn't play with her. PLay games that do not involve your dog jumping on you. Fetch would be great for his breed. When he bites stop playing with him. Or you can even keep a leash on him supervised of course and give him a leash correction every time his teeth touch your skin. I've also had success with that. Or give him a "time out." It's time consuming but every time he bites put him in his crate for 3-5 minutes. Take him out and repeat the process EVERY time he bites or gets too hyper. Just make sure your excersising him enough because pent up energy will cause TONS of behavior problems. Short daily training lessons, short daily walks at his age, games of fetch will really help your pup. Good luck!!

Nova answered on 3/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Barney

My pup who is now just over 4months used to do this ALOT, we just kept saying no and walking away, it took a few weeks but he doesnt do it now (well maybe when he gets over excited).
You should be consistant and he should get the hang of it.

Barney answered on 3/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbutt

instead of this give it a small smack on the bum and say no, when it does it every time smack it and say no I am not much to hit a dog in the face but sometimes it is necessary but not for this, if you it doesn't work then use a rolled up papper or if this don't work you have to find something harder this is up to you as to what go to next but you should not have to go to anything else to get you dog to get it. You try something that has a flavor petssmart has many things for dogs with flavor in it, When I had my bulldog I got the kind of chew for her that she could eat but it didn't come off in pieces it came off little by little and lasted a long time I think it was a nylabome I maybe spelling this wrong but they have big ones and small ones I have even given the peanut butter to my rabbits THEY LOVE THEM. I think this is a idea if you don't believe in hitting you animal. can't think of anything else.My animals are hit when a pup they were hit and learned yours may not need to be.

Starbutt answered on 5/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer