My 9 month old puppy is in heat and we cant get her fixed! WHAT SHOULD I DO!

My 9 month old puppy is in heat bleeding kind of heat and has been trying to mate with my 5 year old male bichon. And we dont have enough money to get them fixed. So I am so scared she is going to die! I am also scared the puppies will.
Please don't answer if you think she will die. I will find out soon enough. But if you really think you should. Just tell me and I will face fact.

Asked by Member 769709 on Jan 4th 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers

Bruno

She is not going to die. Just keep them separated.
Go to your local SPCA ACC or any local animal shelter and they could neuter your pet their for a very low price.
I got both of my dogs done for 20$ each

Bruno answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Keep them apart. Put the female and male away and be very careful to keep them apart until heat is over, which should be 3 weeks from when it started.
She is probably not at the point where she can become pregnant yet. Females are receptive typically, but not always, on the 12th-14th day of heat and they have usually stopped bleeding noticeably by then.
And, please get her fixed ASAP. Raising a litter will cost more than getting them both neutered.

Mattie

Try www.spayusa.org it has some low-cost spay clinic options
Another wonderful website is
www.spayok.org
also ask your local shelter about some options for you My shelter has something called a spay shuttle basically it spays and neuters dogs for free.

Mattie answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

PRINCESS PEPSI LITTLETOWN

Its natural for the bitch to bleed.
But for sure call the spca or vets and they can give you advise on getting it done on a limited income.
you should get them both done

PRINCESS PEPSI LITTLETOWN answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zissou

My vet spays them when they're bleeding it just costs a little more. If you asked and they said no then just keep them apart. She's a girl and heat for a dog is like a period. Her bleeding is normal just like it is for humans and they don't die from it :)

Zissou answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stormy

Why are you scared she will die, why so sure? From bleeding? Bleeding is natural when dogs are in heat. Just like when women are on their periods. IS she pregnant? Why are you scared for puppies if you dont know she is pregnant? I think you are over reacting JUUUUUUUUUUST a tad, unless there is something youre not telling us?

You can always go to the local pet store and buy "diaper" like garments to put on the femals for the duration that she is in heat. They have both disposable ones and re-usable ones. This will keep the blood off of your floors and should cover her enough to prevent access for the male to mate with her IF he did get the chance. I agree with everyone else, to keep them separated as much as you can. Keep them in separate rooms. And in a month take her to the vet and see if she IS pregnant so you'll know if you have to deal with puppies in the future.

Stormy answered on 1/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

Keep them 100% apart. Put vixs vapor rub on the males nose. Because after she is done bleeding and flagging starts, your male is going to go NUTS to get to her. Also he can sill get her through a wire kennel so just keep them apart. Good luck

Gracie answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Don't put vicks on a dog's nose.Please.
Take the female to vet. I am pretty sure being in heat has nothing to do with the surgery.
And vicks will burn and is poison to animals.That is very inhumane.
If you have a professional male for field training or tracking good way to mess his nose up and ruin him.
anyways.
Don't panic get female away from male period. And go the vet they can help.
They may be able to do surgery and board the dog there til things settle with heat cycle:)