DEMON

MY 2 PUPPIES WON'T STOP FIGHTING. IS IT PLAY FIGHTING OR IS IT SERIOUS.

I HAVE TWO PUPPIES. A HUSKY WHO IS 16 WEEKS AND A BULL BOXER WHO IS 8 WEEKS OLD. WE ADOPTED THE BULL BOXER 4 DAYS AGO. MY HUSKY WANTS TO PLAY WITH HIM ALL THE TIME. THEY BOTH PLAY BITE A LOT. IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO START OUT AS PLAYING BUT THEN SEEMS TO GET A LITTLE MORE SERIOUS TO ME, A FEW GROWLS HERE AND THERE. WILL IT STOP AFTER A WHILE? ARE THEY JUST PLAYING LIKE NORMAL PUPPIES DO? I DON'T WANT TO DO ANYTHING THAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED WRONG TO MY HUSKY. WAS IT A BAD IDEA TO BRING HOME A PLAYMATE FOR MY HUSKY PUPPY? I THOUGHT PEOPLE HAD 2 DOGS ALL OF THE TIME?

Asked by DEMON on Dec 17th 2007 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Jesse

If you haven't already, join the group Husky Heaven - there is a lot of Husky owners with experience in a lot of Husky behaviour. I have not had a Husky puppy, we got ours at 18 months, but Huskies play HARD. Lots of body slams, leaps, slaps, pushes and mouthing. We call Jesse a fuzzy cannonball as she likes to charge both humans and other dogs and slams into them. From what I understand, puppies play bite and their littermates (or new playmates) yelp when it gets too much. Thats how they learn boundries. They are also probably sorting out who is the alpha etc.The are probably growling to say, oi, back off. I still get nervous watching dogs play, it is scary when you don't know what to expect. It was definitely not a bad idea to get a playmate for you Husky. They love friends and the 2 dogs will keep each other occupied.

Jesse answered on Dec 17th.

Answers

Dogs will play growl sometimes. They are probably playing. Watch them closely. If they play too rough, stop the game until they calm down. If one of them yelps, it may be because the other dog hurt him. Stop the game when this happens. Since they are still puppies, they are young enough to stop if they do start fighting. My dogs play fight all the time. They will chase each other, Cookie will mouth around Treader but not bite him and Treader will bark at her.

Ace

We have two puppies (both five month old Shelties) as well. They often wrestle with each other when they're together, and that includes the jumping and biting and growling. One will pin the other down and growl and if we start seeing teeth bared, we verbally correct them and try to give them something else to play with. The rough biting play is tapering off now as they're getting their adult teeth in and I would imagine it hurts quite a bit more.

Is there a big size difference in the two puppies? I'd be concerned if one was a lot bigger and constantly pinning or biting the other, but if it's a situation where they're a similar size, or they're each doing just as much wrestling and biting as the other, it's probably not that big of an issue. As they get older and used to each other, they'll likely both settle down.

Best of luck... I know what a challenge it is to have two young puppies at the same time!!

Ace answered on 12/17/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Pork Chop

We have a 18month old pit and 10 week old pit and they play nonstop it gets pretty aggravating so now we don't let them play fight anymore that way when the pup is older she doesnt think that its ok to fight and the big boy we have never had problems with him being aggressive so we stop them playing rough so he doesnt develope any bad habits. I guess the choice is up to you if you want to let them play fight til it gets to a certain point then stop or just try to keep them from playing rough period.

Pork Chop answered on 12/17/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer