My 1 yr old male German Shepherd likes to lick my new 8 week old kitten and nose him. Now he's gently putting his mouth

Asked by Member 1134826 on Oct 8th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Some dogs like to nuzzle & lick kittens and puppies. You have to be very careful letting the 1 year old play with the kitten because he is still a puppy. Also, he doesn't know how big he is compared to the kitten. Good Luck!

Boris

I have a shepherd/pit mix who was raised from 8 weeks old with three cats. The behavior you just described is the same things my dog will do to the cats. I always supervise his cat interactions and make sure to praise and treat him when he has positive interactions with the cats to this day still, in order to ensure he always associates cats with good things. Sometimes he will chase the cats down if they jump down from high places or run, which kicks in his prey drive and just general temperament but I work on recall with my dog everyday so that he always responds and comes when his name is called. Also, for the cats safety, I would always crate your dog when you are not around to supervise interactions.

Boris answered on 10/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer