Maltese Terrier with a 5/6 heart murmur - she is nearly 14, will she be ok?

About two weeks ago she woke up in the night breathing really heavily and we could hear her heart pounding, we took her to the vet and they said she had a 5/6 heart murmur and fluid in her lungs... after 2 days of medication in a drip, an oxygen box and sedation she came home. Since then, she's been really clingy, she gets anxious if I leave the room, let alone the house, in the beginning she couldn't settle and would sleep for only an hour before waking to check I was still there, and to move around, but she's got much better, she eats with huge enthusiasm, is sleeping through the night, and is quite perky!

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a dog with a 5/6 heart murmur, and whether they have lived for 3-5 more years, I cannot stand the thought of losing her...

Asked by Member 830073 on Apr 25th 2009 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Hello Little Maltese mix!
I am sure she has a little CHF - congestive heart ... With the medications ( water pill and the heart pill) she could live 2 - more years.
Keep your Fingers CROSSED..
You need to follow the medication program very close to what your VET has ordered.. Certain medications at certains times and all should go well!

Make sure this little one is taking a few supplements / With your VET's approval.
A good one would be some ESTER C - about 500 mg per day...
Also, NuVET powder supplement is a great immune system booster / just a wonderful vitamin for her to take daily - ( they have a wafer or powder) SEE here:
www.nuvet.com

Also, ask your vet if she can have 50 IU of Vitamin E each day.... This is a small dosage for a cat...( so it sure won't hurt.)

Work close with your vet and bring her in for the scheduled blood tests.
Good Luck

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

14 is very old for a Maltese...or for any small dog for that matter. Older dogs, like people, often develop Heart Murmurs, which are abnormal sounds in the heart due to valves not closing tightly as they should (or used to). They can also develop fluid in the lungs.

This can be managed with lasix and heart medication to provide her more comfort. She may cough because of this condition and have difficulty breathing as you described above.

Dogs can live quite a few years with medication, but do keep in mind that your pup will need your support and constant monitoring of any distress signals. Fluid in the lungs and heart murmurs can be the first signs of congestive heart failure which is ultimately fatal. Your pup will need you to make the final decision for her eventually.

Talk to the vet about what to expect in her case so you'll be prepared if/when the time comes. I wish you the best.

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 4/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

Holly aka: Muff

Hi there.
My little girl Holly has the same problem. She is 10 years old and was diagnosed last year after. We have only had to "up" her salix one time so far. She coughs a lot when she gets excited or takes a drink, but the Doc doesn't hear any fluid on her lungs. I hope we have Holly for a good long time still. I keep my fingers crossed and watch for signs that she needs help.

Holly aka: Muff answered on 5/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer