Sunny

making your own dog bed?

Has anyone ever made there own dog bed? Could you give me instructions on how or give me a website? Thanks a ton

Asked by Sunny on May 18th 2009 in Beds

Answers

I've used old sleeping bags or blankets for dog beds. Not that great if you want a very soft cushion-like bed though.

Zack

I just bought two regular (human) bed pillows, then cut a piece of fabric big enough to fit around both, sewed up three sides and added a zipper to the final side. So it's basically a huge pillow case. The zipper part makes it easy to remove and wash the cover, but keeps it closed so Zack can't push the insides out. You could use velcro instead. My dog also has allergies, so I put some of those "anti-allergy" or whatever they're called covers on the pillows before putting them inside the huge case I made.

If you don't know how to sew, you can just make a giant no-sew fleece pillow (stuff with lots of stuffing or two or more pillows for a big dog). Here are some instructions:
www.ehow.com
I would tie with double knots, rather than the single knots listed in the instructions.

Dogs also like the fleece tie blankets - same as the pillows, but not stuffed.

Good Luck!

Zack answered on 5/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in terms of a dog bed.

One solution that's great for big dogs is to go to the baby section in WalMart and buying a baby crib mattress. Those are relatively inexpensive (around $40) and you can get fitted sheets to cover them, which is great since you can take them off for washing.

Another solution is going to the sewing store (like JoAnn's or Hancock Fabrics) and getting the thick foam. They will cut it to the sizes you need for your project. Stack up several and use that shape and size as a guideline for cutting your fabric. Sew the fabric, a large pillow cover is easiest, and then just stuff it full of the foam.

Louie

I made a bed for our dog using the couch cushions from our old couch. I removed the covers on them then I wrapped them in an old table cloth. I taped it with packaging tape on the bottom. It's too heavy for him to lift so he can't get to the tape. When it comes time to wash it I can just pull off the tape, toss it in the wash then retape it.
He loves it and sleeps on it every night.
You could get an old couch free from craigslist and use an old sheet.

Louie answered on 5/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

www.ehow.com
Here is one based on length of dog.
Also with dogs who have arthritis problems you can buy a baby crib mattress and put a sheet on it.
Sometimes you can find them at garage sales as well.

rekz

i just bought a second hand two seater couch for my dog to sleep on. got his blanket on it to. he loves it

rekz answered on 5/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

One really easy way to do it is to get a DIY kit from Molly Mutt - you get a cover and a bag to fill with your own stuff - old towels, t-shirts, etc - dogs really like ot since it smells like you - very eco-conscious too. Will be carried soon at www.dogbedworks.com - they have a sale now 30% off so that may be even easier than making your own. But Molly Mutt Duvets are a great product