Isabel

Is toothpaste safe for dogs?

I know this may sound pretty weird, but my dog absolutely loves human toothpaste. Not the paste itself but the foam when I brush my teeth. I don't want to remember how I even started giving her that. I must be a really bad owner, but I've been letting her eat it her whole life (6 yrs) and nothing ever went wrong.. no stomach upsets, etc. But I'm always a little worried that something really wrong could be happening. I can't resist not giving her because she gives me the 'puss in boots' eyes whenever I'm brushing my teeth. Please help if you know anything about this.

Asked by Isabel on May 27th 2013 Tagged toothpaste, dogfood, eating, diet in Health & Wellness

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

This is a great opportunity to switch her to peanut-butter (or another flavor) doggy toothpaste. Try a gum finger brush and see if she will let you massage her gums with it. I'm sure there is a medical reason why dogs shouldn't use human toothpaste, but your vet would know better. Greenies are a great way to clean doggy teeth and freshen breath- you might want to change from the foam to a Greenie each night when you brush teeth; then each of you can enjoy better dental health at the same time. Thanks for caring!! ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 2/25/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer