Is my dachshund a mini or no??

So I have a dachshund puppy who is almost 14 weeks old. We took him to the vet today and he weight 7.8 lbs. The breeder told me full grown that he would be like 10 lbs and the vet today told me that at 16 weeks you can double his weight and thats how big he will be. So im wondering if this is true. While I will love Oscar no matter what size he is I cant help but feel a little lied to by the breeder since in order to be a mini the dog has to be under 11 lbs. Thanks!

Asked by Member 923751 on Nov 28th 2009 in Dachshund

Answers

Zoe

Sounds like you are the victim of an unscrupulous breeder. Backyard breeders or puppy mill breeders will probably tell a prospective buyer anything to sell a dog.
Did you sign a contract with the breeder? Talk to the breeder and tell them what your vet has said about Oscar's adult size.
Good luck with your new weiner dog!

Zoe answered on 11/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Too soon to tell. My toy poodles can weigh 4 lbs at that age and end up perfectly normal at 6 or 7 lbs as adults.

Growing up, we had a mini-doxie who was about 13 lbs. And he wasn't overweight. He was just a reverse-runt and didn't fit into the breed standard. He was the only dog our family ever "bought" and, in hindsight, the breeder probably had no idea what she was doing, and probably didn't care.

It's possible he can double his weight by the time he's about 10 or 11 months old. Small dogs usually are about 3/4 done growing at around 4 or 5 months old. You pup is younger than that, so it's definitely possible. But it's just a waiting game. You don't know until the dog is actually done growing. Some dogs will stay smaller while others just get huge really fast.

I'm glad to see you're more concerned about his overall health and well being than his breed standard size. :-) If he does turn out to be over mini size, you can contact the breeder and let them know.

But I'm sure you're going to have a lifetime of fun and love in store from this cute little guy. Congrats on your new puppy!

Wilson

Hi
I am not sure about the standards for Daschunds and perhaps if you are going to show the dog,it might matter.Our family has many Dashunds between myself,my Aunt,and two sister-in-laws there is 5 miniature Dashunds.My sister-in-law previously had a "standard" size Doxie,and all of the miniatures were/are considerably smaller,yet they all so vary in size.I do think the Male Doxie will be a few pds. heavier.There is however a breed smaller than the miniature(can't remember what they are called,perhaps toy) that some ppl are confusing with the miniature.My Daschund..Wilson varies between 11-14 pds.As his weight fluctuates through the seasons.I think if you refer to the Daschund Kennel Club they may be able to help,however they are more particular with dogs showed & registered.I beleive a standard size Doxie is about 20-25 lbs.Vicky(Wilson's Mommy)

Wilson answered on 2/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer