Angel Face

Is mouthing always bad?

I have an 11 mo old femme pit/huskey/lab/wolf mix that I have been training to be my seeing eye dog since she was 3 mo. She's coming along wonderfully - we still have a long way to go-, but I still play rough with her and allow her to mouth (not bite) my hands or arms but not clothing. She never draws blood or hurts me and won't use her mouth on anyone else (or any other animal) to save her life. She also stops playing on command. But I have still been repeatedly told that this is a sign of future aggression. Should I be worried about this? She is the friendliest dog that I have ever known and I personally don't see any signs that trouble me. But I may also be biased as I know her very well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Asked by Angel Face on Nov 22nd 2012 Tagged aggression, puppies in Aggression

Answers

Like you said that she is not using her mouth on anyone else, I think there is no problem in continuing with rough play. Remember to stop when you notice even the slightest sign of aggression.

First off..you have a bully mix..but there doesn't look like any lab, husky, or wolf!
Second...bully breeds do have issues with dog aggression as they mature. Rough play now does NOT mean she will be rough as she ages..BUT if you are training her as an SD you will be held to a higher standard. She will need to be rock solid in public.
IF you think she has the inhibition & discrimination, then you should be fine to play your game. You say only you play this way with her, & that is good. Under NO circumstances should be allowed to play this way with anyone else.
I do hope you have a professional helping you train her. Owner training an SD is a HUGE undertaking.
FWIW...my 95 pound gsd is about 3.5 now & still plays rough with me...but only me. but he is not an SD.

Leo

I agree with the above poster that what you've got is some pit mix, if not something closer to a full pit. There's not a single physical characteristic that I see that would even hint at husky, let alone wolf. Totally different morphologies. Still a beautiful and I'm sure wonderful dog, though! But realize that you can be creating problems for you and your dog by claiming it's part wolf (for example, it invalidates its rabies vaccine!)

However, I think that there's absolutely nothing to worry about aggression-wise. It sounds like your dog is well under control and is simply playing. What's most important is that your dog seems to show bite inhibition, meaning it understand that it needs to use its teeth gently, and this skill is *ONLY* learned through mouthing and play.

Unless there are signs of true aggression or lack of bite inhibition, I wouldn't worry one bit about mouthing during play, especially if the dog stops on command and never shows aggression.

Leo answered on 11/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer