Moxie

Is it okay that my dog chews her nails and paws?

My dog Moxie will chews on her paws and it appears it's mostly her nails. The nails are trimmed. Is there food or smell that she is smelling. It's not that often nor for that long, but some days she'll gnaw for 12-30 minutes if we let her. Should we be concerned or is this normal?

Asked by Moxie on Sep 18th 2007 Tagged nails, paws, chew, gnaw, feet in Chewing

Best Answer

Gio

The two most common reasons that a dog will chew or lick her paws are allergies or boredom.

Food allergies will often manifest themselves by making paws itchy. The dog will lick or chew to relieve the itch, making the paws wet in the process. Moisture between the toes and pads can lead to infection and further complicate issues. Check the ingredients of the food that she is getting. If there are lots of grains then it is possible that she is allergic and you may consider switching to a different food with different or no grains, or speaking to your vet to arrange allergy testing.

Boredom can also lead to paw itching. A regular "job" can help relieve boredom. Sports like agility, flyball, obedience, rally-o, tracking, etc. can provide a great outlet for some pent up boredom. Or you can look into various games and activities, more than just fetch or a walk, that you can engage your pup in at home.

Either way, licking and chewing is not normal aside from normal grooming. Good luck!

Gio answered on Sep 18th.

Answers

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007*

I used to do this alot and my paw became inflamed. You should try to stop it when ever you see Moxie do it.

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007* answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Cashew

Sounds like it very well could be an allergy. I do that sometimes .... I am on Missing Link supplement and home cooked foods now and that has lessen my itchies!!

If its persistant, check with your vet!

Cashew answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer