is it better to have two dogs rather than one to keep each other company?

Asked by Member 740877 on Sep 22nd 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Frasier

I prefer pairs of things. I think it there is a huge difference between the relationship between dog and human and two dogs. I think my dogs are happier with my attention and the play time and companionship they receive from another dog. The way my dogs play sometimes, there is no way I could do that with them. I think if you have the finances, time, energy, and leadership it requires to have more than one dog, then two is always better than one.

Frasier answered on 9/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red

Our Jacks stress level went down a lot when we got him a companion dog. She gets on his nerves sometimes but he no longer begs us for god knows what! We did ask him befor if he "wants a doggy" and the answer was a big yes! Why dont you ask your pup how it feels about a little friend. Whenever Jack gets irritated with Ginger we say, "you wanted a doggy!"

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red answered on 9/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It depends on the dog. I have two dogs. Over a year ago, I only had one. I found out that Cookie prefers to be an only-dog after getting Treader.
My advice is, to have your dog meet other dogs, and if he does good with them you might consider another dog.
It isn't necessary to have two dogs, but if the dog is good with other dogs they can keep each other company.

Personally, im really happy with my decision in having 2 dogs. You're right my 2 dogs love to keep each other company. Luckily in my case my adult dog also has helped me to potty-train my puppy, use the doggie door, and love laser pointers.

It really depends on your situation. Can you handle having two dogs? For a lot of people, it's a lot of work. Do you have the time to take your current dog for walks everyday and play with him and exercise him? Typically if you do, and your dog is not alone most of the time, then just having one is okay because your dog has you to keep him company and take him on walks. If you work most of the day, and he is home alone, then depending on how much time you will have when you get home to take care of both of them would be the determining factor there. I have always had multiple dogs, but we breed and show, so that is why. Dogs do, in general, enjoy the company of other dogs, so it's always been a good thing in our home to have multiple :) But it really depends on your lifestyle and what you can handle time wise. Just make sure that you have done a lot of research on breeds you are interested and how much time you need to spend with two dogs before bringing one into your home. www.akc.org This is a good place to check out breeds and their temperaments and what you can generally expect from the type of dog you are interested in. If you do choose to get another dog, please message me if you need help on how to introduce them and how to have multiple dogs in your household - I would be glad to help.

Chloe'

My Best friend is the cat, Trixee. When my Daddy brought brought me home as a puppy, the cat was a little put off, but not afraid of me. Trixee was bigger than I was.
Now, 4 yrs later and 85 lbs, Trixee and I are inseparable.
Trixee sleeps in my belly at night and sometimes takes a nap on my head.
I am very very protective of Trixee.

I love Trixee, she keeps me company when Daddy is at work. We play together. I chase her and then then she chases me...Daddy is always laughing when we do this.

Chloe' answered on 9/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer