Bella Olavarrieta

Is it alright to leave dogs outside 24/7? I live in the South where the temps sore in the summer. We have neighbors th

Asked by Bella Olavarrieta on Jun 18th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would say it depends on the breed. I would never leave a small dog outside, but some of the guardians are bred to be outside like the Great Pyrenees. Regardless, they should have adequate food, water and shelter. Also, I would never leave a dog out side if it wasn't used to it or if it's a puppy regardless of breed.

SNEAKERS

It definitely does depend on the Breed !
Any Breed which is "cold" Coated (Husky, Old English other double layer or long coats) are going to suffer immensely in the Southern Climates.
BUT, with proper Grooming (clip um short) any Breed can deal with high temps, as long as they have Shade and plenty of Water.
I have Yokies, and clip them three times a year, because they are very active throughout the year.
The last clip is in September, and their beautiful coats grow out for the cooler months.

SNEAKERS answered on 6/19/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't believe in the "outside dog" thing, but I know some people who have farm or herding dogs that live outside together. They're provided ample food, shelter, and water, which is what the animal ordinance in my area requires. I'm not sure what is required where you live, but a call to Animal Control or an Internet search will likely answer that question for you.

I believe a call to report animal abuse or neglect is preferable to watching an animal suffer, both for its sake and for the regret and guilt that you feel when you do nothing about something that is wrong. Even if nothing happens, at least you've tried, but possibly the county will intervene in a way that is beneficial to the dog. If that doesn't work, this organization has some cool interventions to help support those neglected animals:

www.unchainyourdog.org

I would not recommend leaving dogs outside especially on hot days. Both young puppies and old dogs are naturally inclined to stroke. In all cases, be sure that you take care of your dog properly to prevent the chances of stroke occurring. Extreme temperatures, mainly hot weather, can result in over exertion.