Is heart worm medicine necesssary in Arizona?

I rescued my dog in Texas where heartworm medicine was necessary. I gave my dog Heidi daily medicine.
Moving to Arizona I was told that it was unnecessary in Arizona.
While living in Mexico, I of course vaccinated her against parvo and also parasites (2013).
Talking to people in the local dog park in Tucson, I am finding out that heartworm medicine is necessary. Now that there has been a lapse of almost 5 years, do I need to have her tested and start heartworm medicine.
Can you please help with a correct answer? Thank you.

Asked by Member 1194636 on Oct 17th 2013 Tagged heartwormmedicineinaz in Health & Wellness

Answers

Define necessary, because there are no laws that I am aware of mandating any kind of meds; yes for rabies shots. However, Arizona has all kinds of weird things like scorpions, allergens and Valley Fever. Do yourself and your dog a favor and make a vet appointment. Heartworm pills are usually given in monthly chews or pills with flea meds, so I'm not sure about your "daily" dosing. Have a copy of your pet's older vet records faxed to your new vet, and they can figure it out for you since you might be confused. Woof to the world ^_^