Dixie

Is have a 8 week old basset hound and we wanted to try and crate train her? Does anyone know how long it lasts or have a

Asked by Dixie on Jun 18th 2012 Tagged cratetraining, advice, bassethound, weeks in Crate Training

Answers

Callie (Calliope)

It takes a few days to build up the dogs tolerance. Most training books have you introduce the dog to the crate leaving door open. Then short spans with door closed as you work up to longer spans of time. The first day our dog barked and whined but within a few days she was fine for a few hours at a time. Good luck.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 6/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Koby

You can start by feeding her in the crate. Practice putting her in it with a treat shut the door for a few minutes then open the door. Throw toys in there with the door open. The goal is for her not to be afraid of it or hate it. She is very young and small, so the sooner you do it, the more used it she'll get. Koby goes in his and takes a nap during the day with the door open. If she cries at night, you can give her a stuffed animal. If it's not too warm, you can give her a hot water bottle with warm water in it under a towel. You can also put a ticking clock near the crate. Sometimes that will make them go to sleep. Good Luck with her!

Koby answered on 6/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Most people prefer crate training for almost three years, its when they cease to have an urge to chew things.

Cora

My pup has been crate trained since she was tiny, she's brilliant in there now & will go in by herself. I brought the largest size I could find & had it in the living room to begin with. I put her bed in there & left the door open throughout the day so that she could explore; each time she fell asleep I lay her in there in her bed so that she'd wake up in there & come out in her own time.

After a couple of weeks I started to close the door and leave her for short periods of time building it up over a few weeks, 5 mins, 10 mins etc. If I needed to nip to the shop but knew I wouldn't be long I'd put her in.

I used to leave her with her bed, some biscuits, water, a toy she could chew on & a puppy pad. As she started to go in the crate by herself to sleep I removed to food and water. Once she grasped outdoor toileting I removed to puppy pad too. Now she sleeps in there when I leave her & has learnt the 'in' command. (I used to say 'in' & praise her each time I shut the door behind her)

Cora answered on 6/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer