Is flour bad for dogs

Will my dog get sick if I give her flour, vanilla, sugar, butter, and eggs?

Asked by Member 521735 on Oct 26th 2007 Tagged dangerousfoods in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Scarlet

I wouldn't recommend feeding her a cake, since that's what it sounds like.. especially not a chocolate one!

I'd stick to meat products since dogs are carnivores.. eggs, yes -- the rest: while it probably won't hurt her, I wouldn't recommend it as a frequent 'treat.'

Scarlet answered on 10/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Quite honestly, flour, sugar and butter aren't good for US!!

I'm not sure why you would want to feed this type of thing to your dog.

Once in great while, you could probably feed a piece of white cake, for example, to your dog.

I wouldn't recommend giving a dog any people food unless it is on the safe list and is healthy, such as vegetables and plain baked chicken and turkey.

Here's what I'd ask you, though:

What is your reason for wanting to feed your dog this kind of food vs balanced, healthy dog food? If you think he will like human food better, then please consider healthier food...he will like it just as much and you won't be hurting his health in order for YOU to feel like you're giving him a treat.

Flour - some dog treats include flour. It depends on your dog, the number of treats you feed, and the type of flour used. Rice flour is preferable since many dogs are allergic to corn or wheat.

Vanilla - small amounts of vanilla flavoring are fine. Many dogs like vanilla ice cream (just be careful with the amount, dairy can give them diarrhea).

Sugar - sugar is best kept away from. Sugar, sugar substitutes and corn syrup can all be very healthy and even dangerous to dogs.

Butter - not necessarily dangerous but can make your dog very sick.

Eggs - eggs are fine raw or cooked. If you're giving raw eggs, give the whole egg including the shell (if your dog will eat it). The shell provides calcium and is safe to eat. You can also feed eggs cooked if you're more comfortable with that.

In general, it's best to steer clear of people food unless you really know which ones are safe to feed and which ones are not.