Is a husky blue heeler mix a danger to my cats?

We have a girl who is going to stay with us for a while she has a husky blue heeler mix and I was told he may kill my cats.

Asked by Member 1139273 on Nov 5th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Huskies and Heelers both have high prey drives, but it really depends on the animal. I've had both dogs and neither of them have bothered my cats, but I've heard horror stories, too. Dogs are like people; they have their own personalities, so you really have to wait and see while being productive. The key is to introduce them over time and provide a safe escape route for the cat if need be. It would be smart to crate the dog when you can't supervise him. Enjoy your new roomies!

Well, it totally depends on the dog's personality. He may be a well-behaved dog or may turnout to be a brat. You should discuss this problem with owner of the dog, before she comes and live with you.

From what I have seen, huskies are very prey driven and I have seen the damage they can do. I believe it is the same case with the blue heeler.

It depends on the dog, though. If he/she was raised with cats, he/she will probably be fine. If he/she has never even seen a cat, you might be getting some problems.

Be sure to watch out. If the dog seems to focus or zone in on the cat, you might want to keep them separated at all times.