Penny Dutchess

Introducing my Boxer to a Kitten, what is the best way?

I have a 4yr Boxer and I am looking to get a little companion for her. We have had a cat before, I took in a stray cat right before I got Penny and they did real well (sadly I had to give her to a family that had a yard and was out of the city so she could go outside, she hated being inside)Anyway. Penny and I also go to my dad's house where he has a "few" cats and Penny does well there too. Both instances the cats where there first. Now it is the opposite. It has just been Penny for a while and I want to make sure I bring in a kitten right. This kitten is 10 weeks old and already has experiences with dogs and from what I am told does great with them. Getting one from a family member who is moving and can't take them to their new place. Any tips would be appreciated!!!!!

Asked by Penny Dutchess on Jul 17th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Introducing a new cat to a house dog can be difficult. Start by having the kitten to be familiar with your home. You can place your pets in separate rooms and feed them separately. Later on, you can move their bowls each day increasing the "closeness or nearness" of their food bowls. But make sure your dog is on leash. It would be long before they become accustomed to each other so you need to be patient.

Mika

I dont know if I would put their food bowls anywhere near each other. Just to be on the safe side. My 2 Huskies are great with my 2 cats but I dont feed them in the same room, the cats eat upstairs and the dogs, down. Always make sure your kitty has a place to go.....sort of an escape rout. I wouldn't leave them alone together either, when you go out, if your dog is not in a crate I would keep the kitten in a bedroom till your back. Dont force them on each other, and please make sure and keep a close eye on all interactions

Mika answered on 7/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

xena CGC

what worked for me was dog in kennel .
cat in kennel next to dog at bed time .
if they are sleeping near each other in the morning problem solved . if not let dog out for people time then back in kennel for cat and people time . repeat as necessary ever day until they learn . i tried this for a month the cat did not like dog . cat went to new home . the dog was here first . new cat the training took three day . they sleep together in dogs apartment at night.

good luck

xena CGC answered on 7/24/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer