Kaiser Casey AKA:  K.C.

I'd like to know if my dachshund's pattern is dapple piebald.?

I've been wondering is my dog has more than one pattern. He looks like a chocolate and tan dapple, but he has white marking similar to a collie. I have research it and have found two different answers. One said he is a double
dapple because of his white markings, but another answer said that he is a dapple piebald because of his white markings too. I need help! His mom was red and his dad had tiny black spots and bigger black spots on a white background. 2 of my dachshund's litter mates look similar to their father and the other looks almost identical to my dog, but his white collar went all the way around his neck. My dog's white collar stops in the middle of the left side of his neck. If you can help me, please do. Thanks!

Asked by Kaiser Casey AKA: K.C. on Jul 11th 2009 Tagged dapple, piebald in Dachshund

Answers

A piebald would be a dachshund that is white with colored markings. I don't know much about dachshunds, but I do know that a piebald is mostly white. So in that case, he would be a double dapple.

Sassy

Here you go.
abnormality.purpleflowers.net
Now you will be completely confused. This stuff is complicated! The page on white spotting is what you are looking for I think. Merle modifiers is in the area as well. I am so NOT any kind of expert but your pup's father sounds like a Harlequin and you sound like a mantled merle [called a dapple in your breed]. Piebald has more white i think. The double merle page has a photo of a dachshund. Your pup cannot be a double merle as both parents must be merle. Of course merle can be quite subtle and hard to see.

Sassy answered on 7/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jackson

Yeah you look like a dapple.

Jackson answered on 7/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It can be very hard to tell because both double dapple and piebald are white modifiers in dachshunds. From the symmetry in your dog's pattern, I would say that he is a tuxedo style piebald dapple. Either way, your dog has full coloring over the eyes and ears so you shouldn't have to worry about any hearing or seeing defects associated with double dapples.