I work 12 hr shift, can I adopt a dog

Asked by Member 1109947 on May 8th 2012 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

If I were you, I would get a dog walker. 8+ hours is a long time to leave a dog alone and go without potty breaks. It's possible to have a dog when you work long shifts but they need to be tended to in a timely manner. Just think.......how many times do you go to the bathroom everyday? That's how I base how many tines my dogs go out. Good luck!

Skarlet

My sister works 12 hour shifts and has a dog but she lives in the country and her dog has a nice fenced area with shade and an insulated house. Some people have a kennel with a dog door to their basement or garage for their dogs so they have access to indoors and outdoors. If you do adopt be sure to choose a dog that is very low energy, calm and not too clingy or needy so it will be happy sleeping most of the day instead of spending it's time lonely, bored, and getting into trouble.

Skarlet answered on 5/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mandy

Hello! Yes, you can work and still have a dog but you must make sure someone will go to your house at least once in these 12 hours and let the dog out, check he's got enough water and that he is alright. You must also make sure when you get home that you do spend some quality time together like taking him for a walk, playing... Dogs demand time but the are so much worth it.

Mandy answered on 5/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max- In loving Memory

If you mean, "Can I lock my dog up in a crate or room for 12 hours?" no...That is unfair to the dog.

However many people work long shifts and have either friends/family walk and potty their dogs every 5-7 hours OR they enroll their dog in "Doggy Day Care" where the dog can play, engage with other dogs and people and then be tuckered out and ready to engage with you when you come home.

If you just want a warm, loving, furry companion that can care for itself for 12 hrs, than consider a cat (or two!) *smile* Dogs definitely need interaction a good couple of hours a day. If not from you, than from others. Good luck!

Max- In loving Memory answered on 6/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would hire a dog walker to come and walk your dog at least two times a day. I would recommend you to adopt an older dog such as an adult or a senior dog that is fully trained and socialized and doesn't need much exercise. If you live in a neighborhood and have TRUSTED neighbors, pay them or if they're more than willing to do so for free, ask them to take the dog outside for a bathroom break.

You can also take your dog to the dog park once or twice a week or sign him up for doggy day care during the days that you work.

To answer your question, yes you can get a dog. May I ask why you want a dog when you work such long hours?