i want to buy my son a dog but my wife insist she is allergic. Is there a bred that would help me address her concerns.

Asked by Member 1145893 on Dec 19th 2012 in Breeds

Answers

Snow, Poochon Angel

Bichon Frises and Poodles are very hypoallergenic breeds. They do not shed at all and are very smart and funny! I hope this solves your case! (:

Snow, Poochon Angel answered on 12/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Snow, ALL dogs shed, even poodles! The shed hairs get caught up in the curls and are therefore not scattered all around the house like with some breeds, but they are shed nonetheless.
Furthermore, hypoallergenic is an individual thing and depends both on the PERSON with the allergy AND the individual dog, you cannot label ANY breed as being hypoallergenic since it just isn't true.
The only way to tell for sure whether a person will be sensitive to a certain dog is thru exposure to that particular dog. I know many people who got poodles because someone they knew was NOT allergic to one, yet they found they were unable to live with the dog at all.
And, I also know of people who have visited with a female dog, had NO issues with allergy but when they got one of this dog's offspring they were tremendously allergic and had to return the pup.
Allergy is totally an individual thing, both with the allergic person and the chosen breed of dog.

You might also check out golden-doodles. If you can find a breeder who can produce a puppy with 70% poodle, you will have a better chance on no shedding. With golden-doodles you get the energy of a golden retriever without all the fur! Good luck!

Buying a dog is a family decision & the way you word your question "my wife insist she is allergic" sounds like you think this is an excuse to not get a dog. Is this her only issue?
Toto has given you great advice & facts about shedding & dander.
You can not get a "70% poodle goldendoodle"..or any mixed breed. When you breed 2 purebred dogs you can get any number of permutations. _______doodles are NOT a breed; they are a mixed breed.
Discus the issue carefully with your wife. There may be other reasons behind her reluctance. Who will care for the dog? Feed it? Train it? Walk it? If your son is very young, we all know who will be the caretaker for this dog & I bet it won't be you.

Gulo

have you considered other pets for your son? Dogs are great, but if your wife would be disfomforted maybe it would be a good idea to consider another type of animal, like a cat or ferret. Both cats and ferrets are quite trainable and fun (if he does a little research). Perhaps your wife is not allergic to these.

Gulo answered on 12/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer