GRACIE-GIRL

I need to know why all of a sudden my dog is wanting to rub in dog poop?

Recently Gracie has been wanting to smell dog poop for longer and longer,not only that,she was rubbing herself in some before I could catch her doing it.What's up?

Asked by GRACIE-GIRL on Feb 12th 2009 Tagged dogpoop, smelling, rolling in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Tiggles (CGC, SILIF) IN LOVING

The reason for dogs rolling in feces or something else smelly has instinctive roots, perhaps going back to wolves. I don't think anyone really knows for sure. There are several theories on why a dog will roll in something smelly.

One theory is that dogs are attempting to mask their own scent.
Another theory is that rolling in feces or a dead animalís remains is a way for a dog to communicate that heís found something interesting.
A third theory is that the dog may not be trying to absorb the scent; instead she may be trying to impart her own scent onto the object of her interest, for the same reason that a dog may urinate on a tree.

Other theories:
*Cover up perfume
*Mask own scent for hunting
*Advertise to the pack
*Calling card
*To get attention

Tiggles (CGC, SILIF) IN LOVING answered on Feb 13th.

There Are No Other Answers