I need to buy a large, strong crate in which to leave my Great Dane during the time I work. Cage needs to be strong

Asked by Member 825056 on Oct 13th 2009 in Carriers, Crates & Kennels

Answers

I like plastic crates, but it might be expensive to find out one wasn't strong enough. Some dogs destroy both plastic and ordinary wire ones. See www.elitek9.com

Reyna

Midwest makes a crate specifically for great danes. I use this one for my mastiffs, and it's very sturdy.
www.petedge.com

Reyna answered on 10/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If your dog is trying to escape he may do more damage to himself than the crate.

Make sure he is exercised well in the morning before you go to work and when you get home.

Provide safe things for him to chew on in the crate.

Don't crate him for more than 6 or 8 hours with out a break - that's just not fair to the dog.

Properly train your dog to the crate, see links:
www.inch.com
www.wikihow.com
www.ehow.com

Link to quality Kennels:
www.midwestpetproducts.com
**reinforce the latch with dog leash clips.

I prefer General Cage, but they don't make a Giant Breed in the stronger gage wire. The latch on General is better at confining the "creative escape artist". And I like a metal pan, plastic does not last very long.

They do sell large ones in the petstore. I have a pet supply plus store. I bought a very large portable cage, and it was too big. Now for Bridget it is perfect for her. It has been awhile I paid about 85 for it. They seem to be the most reasonable store.
It folds but is very sturdy, I had to put a brass snap on the bottom of the door, that seemed to help as she is super strong and liked to open it , that seems to be the weakest part of the cage. They are more dangerous then the plastic crate. I am sure you could order the biggest one online. So be careful of the wire type I think Bridget did get her head caught once. use snaps to secure the door, they cost like 1- 3 dollars each.