i have labrador of 10 years n it has royalcanin MAXI LIGHT is it ok?coz its high protein content is not good 4 old dogs?

please help me out on which product perfectly suits my labrador of 10 years age? and i also wanted to know that i soak the kibbles in lukewarm water for 20 minutes and then i seperately serve the kibbles and water as he is old its hard for it to chew dry food/is it the right process?plzzzzzzzzzzz help me.....

Asked by Member 1097155 on Mar 4th 2012 Tagged foodforlabrador in Pet Food

Answers

Buffy

Although 10 is getting up there - he certainly shouldnt have a hard time chewing dry dog food. When was the last time his teeth were checked? Its certainly ok to soak the kibble but you shouldnt have to. Royal Canin is typically a recommended brand on dog food advisor, but why would you choose the light version? Is your lab overweight? Royal Canin makes a senior product that I think even has softer kibble that you might not have to soak for him. Its also made for aging dogs and has some glucosimine in it which is great for labs. Prior to Buffy, I fed this to my last lab before I decided it was too pricey for me. Check Royal Canins website and read up on aging dogs. Whatever you're feeding now, make sure to transition over gradually if thats the route you decide to go.

Buffy answered on 3/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Actually, if I remember correctly older dogs need MORE protein, what with their muscles beginning to get weaker and all.

Yup. "Older dogs need less protein" is a myth, though it's still passed around as fact by some people, and it's in a lot of old pet-care books.

Feeding kibble wet is never a bad idea- it helps dogs stay hydrated. But if he is reluctant to chew properly, it could mean dental problems (like first answer mentioned) and he needs a check-up.

There is no product that perfectly suits all dogs, so just pick a food he likes and does well on. There is no need to switch to senior or "light" food just because a dog is older, if they are not overweight.

thank u Buffy,Cookies n Creme n Bruno....
yep my dog ws over weight n its jst few months back it achieved its ideal weight so the regional manager of royal canin suggested me to go for maxi light to maintain the same but i have been feeding it for few months now i need to shift on2 sum otha food type...will check the website n wil take up d trasition process gradualy..
thank u.. ur answers rele helped me.

Ikan

RC is an ok food. And the one post was right about senior dogs will get less protein because as they get older, they can slow dog and can get heavy since most are not as active. I know when my dogs got older. I switched them to the small breed formula because the pieces were smaller and easier for the older dogs to eat. I did not use RC. But if that is what you want to stay with then that is fine. Good luck.

Ikan answered on 3/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer