I have Labrador bitch (Needy) of 2 years has a bad habit of doing toilets in room though we taking her out regularly.

I have Labrador bitch (Needy) of 2 years has a bad habit of doing toilets in room though we taking her out regularly. Please suggest how to overcome it.

Asked by Member 1043693 on Aug 6th 2011 in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

If this is new behavior, I'd have the vet check her for UTI. Take a urine sample.

1. Block access to the room.
2. Clean floors really well with enzymatic cleaner to remove scent.
3. What do you consider "taken out regularly..."?
4. Is there a pattern to when she toilets in this room?

5. DO NOT SCOLD OR PUNISH. Dogs do not toilet in unwanted places out of spite or defiance. If it's not a medical problem, then it's a training problem. Training problems are issues that you have not taught your dog in a way that is understood. (in other words - your fault - sorry..). Supervise her in the room and if she appears to need to toilet, take her outside.
Reward/praise her for toileting outdoors.
Repeat often. Keep the room off limits until you think she understands.

Monty

The best way to train is positive reinforcement. Take small bite size treats with you when you take Needy outside. Each time she goes potty, give her lots of attention by praising her with a "Good girl, Needy!" and some loves, followed by a treat. You will have to start off by staying outside long enough for her to eliminate outdoors, but the more she sees how pleased you are with her and the more attention she gets for being a good girl and going potty outside, not to mention the treats, it will no longer be a problem!
-This is how Mommy and Daddy trained me. I was in an outdoor kennel for 6 months before I got adopted and I was used to going potty wherever I wanted to.

Monty answered on 8/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer