Dottie Lee **NPC**

I have a pregnant dog and she is vomiting up the food she ate today what is going on?

Dottie is pregnant and has thown up any food she has eaten for at least one day we know of and has not been herself all day. This is her second litter.

Asked by Dottie Lee **NPC** on Jun 13th 2012 in Pregnancy

Answers

hi dottie,
throwing up is natural when a dog is pregnant and there is a sudden behaviour change in them too. You should not worry too much about it, as your dog will get back to normal once the pregnancy duration is over.

I wouldn't worry if it's a one time thing. If it continues, then I would take her to the vet.

Dogs have morning sickness just like humans. it is usually in the 2nd and 3rd week of pregnancy. She might also just like humans, have some bladder control loss and episodes of diarrhea. She will have less energy and her appetite will increase as the pregnancy goes alone. She needs prenatal care with your vet. Make a list of all your questions, no question is silly, to give your vet so you don't forget what you wish to ask. She needs increased protein during her pregnancy and while she is breast feeding. Buy the best puppy food you can afford to feed her. I am giving my girl 2 cups of milk with 2 raw eggs whipped up in it everyday for the calcium and protein. She loves it! even when her tummy is upset she gulps this concoction down. Good luck I hope your pregnancy & delivery goes smooth. Pru