I have a Great Dane and she barks all the time I have tried everything including training any suggestions.

Asked by Member 1173589 on Jun 3rd 2013 Tagged barking, jumping in Barking

Answers

Cairo

In conjunction to training, have you tried using a spray bottle filled with water? Most dogs dislike the sensation enough to stop what they're doing. So if your Dane barks and you say whatever it is that is your quiet command(assuming it has been trained to know what the command means), give a warning or two and then spray. I've used this with all three of my dogs and it works for all of them.

If the bottle doesn't work, try some kind of noisemaker to break your dog's attention and redirect it towards you so your command to stop is actually acknowledged. You can make a simple one by just putting a few coins in an empty water bottle. Shake it once(you want one loud noise as opposed to multiple small shakes; think "I dropped a rock" not "I scattered some pebbles" if that makes sense) and when your dog looks, give the command.

Cairo answered on 6/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

"Tried everything, including training" Ummm..all you need is training. Lol
Please do not use aversives like a spray bottle or a shaker can, or throw chains.
Nuisance barking is a tough one. You can try putting the bark on cue, then just never give the cue. But I found that didn't work well.
What I do is acknowledge what they're barking at, thank them, then tell them "enough."
To train: load up with treats. Dog barks, "thank you. I see the man. Enough!" Then hold the treat right beside his head. Mark the moment he shuts up & turns his head to take the treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Gradually increase the distance you hold the treat & increase the time before giving the treat...AFTER giving the cue. Eventually. he should bark once, then come running to you for his treat.
Good luck with this. It takes time, patience, & consistency.