I have a five month old Pit and he will not play with his toys he only wants peoples hands and toes.

no matter what we do he will not play with his toys. he only wants hands and toes. any suggestions on how to stop this and get him to play with his toys?

Asked by Member 1113818 on Jun 3rd 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

have you been teaching him to "leave it" with other things you don`t want him to have? you have to start early with commands so he understands his boundaries

Sometimes if you socialize dogs with a dog who loves toys, it will teach you dog to play with them. Jax came from a bad place and never really played with toys. She didn't teach Kali to play with them either. When we got Koby, we found he loves toys and has taught Kali to play with them. It might take a little time, but maybe you can find him a friend and make play dates.

Bentley

You should teach him no and leave it. When i owned my pit bull he teethed a lot the toys we got him were really tough ones for him to chew on, he also really like raw hides and rib bones to keep him busy i try those also Kong toys are really good hell be worried about getting the treat out.

Bentley answered on 6/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with everyone else with teaching you dog the leave it command, one of the best things for my 2 dogs. But as for his wanting to mouth on hands and toes it is because it feels soft and smushy on his gums. He is just now entering the worst stage of teething so get ready! Try wetting a wash rag that you don't mind it getting ruined and put it in the freezer for a few hours and let him chew that or start him on ice cubes. Also look for teething toys that have a soft outer shell but a hard innercore and invest in some sour apple no bite spray and cream my dogs wouldn't even go near the christmas tree just after a few spritzes.