I have a dog and 2 cats and I just found a flea on my dog. Do u think the cat has fleas too? And what should I buy.

Asked by Member 1115239 on Jun 12th 2012 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Buy some Dawn and bathe them all with it and leave it on for a few moments in the tub. It will drown the fleas. Rinse thoroughly! Yes the cats probably have fleas too. Make sure you vacuum really well and wash everything with hot water (bedding and such). Food Grade DE (NOT the pool stuff) can be found online or in the tractor supply store. Rub a little down to the skin of the dog and cats. Food Grade DE will shred the exoskeletons of the fleas and they will dry out and die. You can also scrub it into your floors and furniture. Leave it down and then vacuum a day or so later... the longer you leave it down the better it works.

Kazba

If you see one flea, then you can almost expect that the cat also has them. Dawn was a good idea , but i think I would get a flea comb and go over them also once in awhile just to see if you can find more

Kazba answered on 6/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I wouldn't use Dawn on my dogs, as it's not meant for that purpose and could dry their skin out. You can be sure your cats, your house and possibly even yourself have fleas now too.

I'd get the dogs out, bathe them with flea and tick shampoo, put some flea collars or advantix on them.

Then seal up/remove all food products from your home and fog your house to kill all fleas. Follow all instructions for the flea & tick fog/bomb to make sure you don't contaminate your own food or pets.

www.PetLeader.com