I have a Dauchsund/ Lab Mix He is 4 months. He is still teetinh but I he seems to always bite me or my family members...

Asked by Member 1101963 on Mar 24th 2012 in Chewing

Answers

It is normal for a dog of that age to want to mouth and bite because there teeth are growing and it is uncomfortable just like it is for human babies. I suggest taking the dog's chew toys and putting them in the freezer. This way the coolness will relieve their sore gums. If the dogs mouths you or your clothes and make a squeal or squeaking noise and then ignore the dog so he sees that if he bites you are hurt(just like his littermates did) and the playing will stop until he is calm.

We trained our two dachshunds to grab a toy whenever they got bitey with us, usually when we got home. The girl has sort of grown out of it, but the boy will grab a toy and run with it, even outside on a lead, when he is super worked up. We did it by basically putting a toy in his mouth every time he tried to mouth us.