I HAVE A 6 1/2 WK OLD CHIHUAHUA SHE GOT HER 1ST SHOT TODAY?

MY BABY CHIHUAHUA GOT HER FIRST SHOT TODAY. SHE CRIED FOR A LITTLE BIT THEN SHE WAS FINE PLAYIN. AN HOUR OR SO LATER SHE STARTED SLEEPING ALOT AND KIND OF SHAKIN. WHEN I TRY TO PICK HER UP SHE CRIES AND SHE DOESNT WANT TO EAT. SHE SEEMS REAL OUT OF IT IS THIS OK??

Asked by Member 938244 on Jan 13th 2010 in Vaccinations

Answers

harley

my pug puppy got his shots today too :( he did the same thing but he is ok now dont worry im sure she will be ok

harley answered on 1/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Her reaction to her shot sounds a bit worrisome to me. I would call the vet to describe the symptoms and find out if you should bring her in to be checked. If the vet's office says to keep her home for now, keep a close eye on her. Because she is so tiny, you must make sure she's getting enough water. She can go for a while with no food, but dehydration is a major concern for her.

If her shaking gets worse, or if she keeps crying, call the vet.

Also, your baby is awfully young to be away from her mom and littermates! Most states require puppies to be with their mom until at least 8 weeks of age, when they are weaned and have learned the basics of dog social behavior. You may end up with behavioral issues because she is not learning bite inhibition and other "polite" dog behavior. If you have friends or family with older dogs who have had their shots, you might want to arrange play dates to help her socialization. Spay her before she turns 7 months, to save her from breast cancer and

Katie answered on 1/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Seth

I have had dogs be out of it for awhile after a shot . And they were fine. But mine were larger dogs. I do kind of worry about her crying , unless the vet really hit a nerve when he gave the shot. I would keep an eye on her and if she is not better in the next day i would maybe think about going back to the vet.

Seth answered on 1/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree completely with Katie's answer.

Your puppy is very young and I'd be very cautious at this point.

While it can be normal for dogs to have some kind of "down time" after a round of shots, a puppy this young and this small should be watched very, very carefully.

If she doesn't seem better tomorrow, call your vet to ask for advice.

Similarly, if she seems worse overnight, take her to an emergency vet. She could be having an allergic reaction to the shot or she could be having overdose symptoms. Sometimes, vets don't adjust the dosage properly and this can happen, particularly with smaller dogs.