I have 2 huskeys. I live in south louisiana.I worried abt the heat this summer. It gets sooo hot and humid. they will b

Asked by Member 1152971 on Jan 31st 2013 Tagged howdoikeepahuskeycoolinsouthlouisianaheat in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Mika

As long as you are careful they should be alright. Although they do do better in a cooler place, just always remember things like make sure they always always always have fresh cold water, if you take them to a park or a long walk it is best to bring water with you. If you are walking them either go early in the morning, or in the evening so it is a bit cooler. And do not leave them outside for long by themselves. And try to keep it nice and cool in your house for them, Good Luck and stay cool!!!!

Mika answered on 1/31/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kodi

We have Chow Chows which are the Huskey's cousins, we're in Australia and the climate is very hot and humid here most months. Much like you we make sure there bowls in the shade and inside the house with fresh cool water. If they can get under your house make sure you have water under there too. We also leave the air con on inside for them. Dogs will instictively find the coolest areas for them. Make sure you walk them way before it gets hot to give them time to cool down before the day heats them and well after they have cooled down from the hot day. If they are panting a lot pat around their mouth with water on your hands. Thats how their mothers would cool them down.

Kodi answered on 1/31/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It gets into the mid90s here on the summer and, although she prefers cold weather, my dog does fine in the summer. I use the air conditioning liberally in my home, make sure she has plenty of fresh water, and walk her either early in the morning or later in the evening, when it's cooler. We hang out in the yard for 15 min to an hour each day. I put a fresh bowl of water in a shady place for her and pay attention to her mannerisms: is she panting? Does she seem uncomfortable? If so, I take her inside. Eventually, she started to "tell" me she was ready to go in by walking over, sitting down, and staring at me. I never leave her outside unattended, though.