Maybel

I am contemplating switching to a partially raw diet. Would love any advice!

Asked by Maybel on Jan 7th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

There are lots of helpful people and good links that can help you out on the raw forum here on Dogster under the community section. :)

Roger Biduk

Without a doubt, a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet is best.
For a 60 lb. dog (like my Husky) here's what I tell my clients to feed: 3/4 lb. raw chicken, turkey or beef, 1/4 lb. organ meats (mix of chicken hearts, chicken liver, beef kidney & beef liver), 1 raw meaty rib bone, 2 raw eggs, 2 krill oil capsules & a multivitamin. All bought at the grocer store for around $2/day.
What a difference you'll notice in the health of your dog from kibble, especially if feeding garbage kibble loaded with grains and fillers like Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Purina, Pedigree, Hill's Prescription Diet, 'Ol Roy, etc. Good luck, Roger Biduk

Roger Biduk answered on 1/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I just switched to a new "holistic" vet and prior to her advice, I researched till all hours of the night due to my own dog's Acute pancreatitis. She is now on a total raw (& cooked) meat & some veggie/grain diet and is recouping well. Cook all poultry to kill eColi. RAW chicken bones are good for chewing, are rubbery (except remove the splinter off the legbone) Cooking changes the texture that splinters. NO pork bones. Wild game is great too (very low fat). Veggies aren't so necessary as just a variety & if the dog likes them. You need to supplement vitamins that are in dry kibble. A Canadian study 5 years ago about wolves that were killed showed their stomach contents had 99.99% meat, no fruits or veggie composite and only .012 % grass. Sorry folks but dogs & wolves are made the same. Society & pet food companies push grain in packaged food - it's a billion $ business. Natural is time consuming but worth it.