Kevin

how to teach a dog not to be afraid of a bicycle?

I have a 35lb Catahoula and I wanted to teach him to go on bike rides to help him release some of his energy. I got the walky dog to make it easier. He's fine with the bike, if we walk together with the bike, if I sit on the bike and walk, and he heals to the right just like in our walks, but the problem starts when I peddle. Maybe it's the sound, but it really freaks him out. I'm sure it's not that we're moving faster, because I was going just as fast as when we walked with the bike. I don't know how to fix this. everytime I try to peddle, he freaks out and tries to bite my foot out of anxiety. It's the same behavior he had when I first got him and started training him. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I currently use a pinch collar when correcting him to heal on our walks, to sit, and stay. I don't really treat train, since when I got him, he was defensive and aggressive towards everyone and I got a trainer and it was the only thing that worked. Thanks for the help!

Asked by Kevin on Oct 20th 2012 Tagged bicycle, bike, ride, afraid, walkydog in Agility & Sports

Answers

Callie (Calliope)

We've experienced the same problems with our GSP and the walky dog. The last time we tried I end up walking her and the bike home. At one point this 42 lb dog thought I was going to carry her home. She actually started shaking this morning when I just moved the bike in the garage to get something else. Since winter is coming I guess we'll try again next year.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bowerman Bowring

My Dog does the same thing. He hates bikes, skateboards, any human on a wheeled object.

He does ok when we walk With the bike, or when we straddle, but once we put both feet on the peddles, he doesn't recognize us anymore and lunges at us. Its not good.

We're working with a trainer, and trying positive treat training.

First we started with a small object, the Skateboard in the house.

I would just have it around so he would get used to it, then i would put treats on it, and he would eat off it. Then I would slow start to move the board.
Eventually, I was able to move it faster and faster.
Then I started standing on the board. and tossing treats to him, (he knows "Place" so he wont move from his spot)
Then I started standing and moving on the skateboard. slowly.
Eventually, Now he is ok, walking with me and a moving skateboard. which is a Massive improvement. He still hates other people on skateboards.

to be continued.

Bowerman Bowring answered on 2/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer