How to keep my in laws small dog from nipping at my baby?

My in laws small dog has always been treated like a baby they talk to their dog like a baby, And hold him like a baby. When my daughter was born their dog became very jealous of them holding her and interacting with her. He has always tried to nip her fingers while in her bouncy seat. Now that my daughter is 15 months and walking the dog will run up to her and nip at her behind if someone picks my daughter up he will jump
And try to nip her legs. If my daughter walks by him and he is on the couch he will try to nip at her. My daughter has only per the dog a few times with supervision. We do not have dogs so she is unsure of dogs. She likes to bend over to look
At him and say dog. I am terrified that this dog is going to bite my daughter. My in laws just yell
At the dog but it's not stopping his Behavior that seems to be getting more aggressive the older my daughter gets. I am
Not sure what I can do since this isn't my dog.

Asked by Member 1118657 on Jul 2nd 2012 Tagged dognippingattoddler in Dogs & Kids

Answers

I fear for your daughter. It is up to you to protect her. It is up to the in-laws to train their dog. I suggest that the dog be crated, or put away when inlaws visit. No interaction until they can control him. Yelling will not work..the dog needs some serious training. After the first nip, the dog should have been banished. It might not be a popular opinion on a dog site..but child trumps dog...every time. Inlaws get snooty? Tough..you are doing what is best for your child.

I agree with Wiley. You need to protect your daughter and keep her away from this particular dog especially since it has a history of nipping at your daughter. They can crate the dog or keep it in another room with a gate or door. Your daughter comes first!

Keeva

Perfect answers! Please protect your child, even if it makes your inlaws upset. Your child comes first and their grandchild SHOULD come first. I am sure they will say that their little dog would never bite the child but you know what.......sometimes it does happen and why take the chance? Be brave and stand up to them.

Keeva answered on 7/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer