how to build a once amazing agility dogs confidence back up after bad experience?

agility people? we were doing an agility display at the weekend with our club and another exhibitor started shooting guns which made my dog terrified and he tried to bold, so I stopped the display with him because he was unhappy, now when I have gone to classes tonight he was scared, kept losing concentration and also running to me in the middle of practice, is this because he now associates the equipment with bangs? he is usually very excited at agility, fast and responsive but tonight he wasn't, any tips for getting his confidence up again? :( he usually loves agility but tonight he was just not happy, i dont know what to do as I don't want to force him to do something he's not happy with

Asked by Member 1185735 on Aug 15th 2013 Tagged agility, nervous, loudnoises, training in Behavior & Training

Answers

You have to keep going with him or the fear will persevere. It's like getting into a bad car accident. You're afraid to get into the car after that, but you have to or the fear will consume you and you'd never drive again. After my 1st accident as a teen my dad forced me back into the car the next day to regain my confidence, and you should be doing the same thing with your dog in the park and at home. If he really loves the activity, he will move on and continue persevering. However, he will follow YOUR cues, so don't give him an out at 1st and continue with business as usual. ^_^