Brutus

How should I train my dog to stay in the front yard without a leash on?

My 1 year old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Brutus, is in training of staying off leash in the front yard. Yeah I know, I know it is unsafe, but there are very few cars in our neighborhood, and if there is a car coming I hold him. Anyways! I taught my other Wheatie, Buckeye, to stay off leash a few years ago while in the front yard. The only problem with Brutus is that he doesn't get the "boundaries" like Buckeye does. He'll stay with Buckeye in the front until he sees a ball roll in the street. It makes me so nervous when he trys to get it. I've been trying and trying, but he just doesn't get to NOT go in the street. Yes, once again, I feel very unsafe doing this with him, but it would make me feel much more comfortable if he knew not to run away if he accidently slipped outside. Thanks!

Asked by Brutus on Mar 31st 2010 Tagged offleash, wheaten, chasing in Methods of Training

Answers

This is just my experience, but my Bear is trained not to leave the yard, though he never underwent any specific training for it. He respects us and stays nearby because he knows what is expected of him.

For specific training for this, however, I know a popular method amongst some people I know is to practice several five to ten minute Down-Stays along the border of the property, with the leash tied to a tree or rock or something nearby. You can begin to loosen the leash, then just drape it on the ground, and eventually take the leash off entirely. If you're consistent, he will begin to understand that, "Okay, this is as far as I'm allowed to go."

That said, I very strongly do NOT recommend ever letting your dog outside, on or off leash, without your direct supervision. Cars aren't the only things that can hurt dogs when someone isn't looking. Many dogs have been killed by other dogs, shot by people, stolen, etc. in the thirty seconds it takes for them to go outside to pee.

Dogs are like kids. No 2 are exactly the same. Not all training methods work on all dogs. If your not having any luck training him on your own, then I would take him to training classes. The trainers usually have some good advise, especially after observing the dog. Your local shelter or SPCA should offer classes. Good Luck!

Winnie Mae

Really!?!?? You have a Wheaten that stays close? Yes, it really does depend on the individual dog, as the other poster said. There's a Wheaten in our neighborhood who never ceases finding the faults in her underground fence . . . and taking off to my house!

I'd follow Bear's advice. Just keep working, 1yr is "teen years" for most breeds!

Winnie Mae answered on 3/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This a huge risk. And terriers are terriers.
They chase every thing. Squirrels run across roads so that is not a good idea.
I recommend an underground fence, a 6-8 ft fence instead.
Even a dog with a perfect recall is not a perfect dog. So in other words instinct to chase is stronger than training. You can not rely on that you can't watch them every second.
If the dog doesn't loose his concentration while you call he isn't going to hear you they tend to zoom everything out but what they are chasing. Tunnel vision. :)
Just ask Dieta, she jumped out a 6 ft window pane of glass.
Then you got the chances of being stolen, which happens all the time. Him being a Wheaton that is a high in demand dog that is on the most stolen list :) sad but true. People do strange things.

I have to agree that there are NO circumstances where it is safe to leave a dog out by itself without a fenced yard. And, unfortunately, the desire to bolt off after something increases when there are two dogs together.
Aside from teaching a perfect recall in case mine get out accidently, I do not ever leave them out alone, so boundary training is not something I am familiar with enough to teach it to someone else. Especially since your dog's life will literally depend on it.

♥Chloe Chanel♥

I agree with the others. I would not risk something happening to Brutus when you know that he will not stay in the yard. I learned this the hard way with my last tzu, CoCo. She usually stayed in the yard and then one day a car was coming and she decided to chase it! Luckily, the driver saw her and slowed down while my husband ran to get her. Chloe, on the other hand, will stay in the yard. potties, plays or whatever but I am always right there with her. If I'm busy, then she plays in our fenced in backyard.

♥Chloe Chanel♥ answered on 4/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think you've answered your own question. :)