Jax

How should I discipline my dog?...

I have a adorable 4 month old hound dog/pit that starts training in two weeks to be my service dog. My dog and cat love each other and play all the time but when my cat is done and wants to be left alone he gets rough with her. I have to tell him several times to " Stop, No, Bad dog, Leave her alone!!" and still hes a jerk to her.He has kennel he sleeps in every night (and does GREAT) and I don't want to use it as a "time out" spot cause then he wont want to go to bed, so when hes bad I put him on the patio. I wont let him in till hes calm outside. My problem is he gets mad being out there and will scratch the sliding glass door( his nail sound like they are in a chock board! UGH) and he'll try to bite the window. How do I get him to stop freaking out when I put him out for bad behavior....? I want him to realize he'll only be out there longer the more he acts up.

Asked by Jax on Oct 15th 2011 in Service & Therapy Dogs

Answers

Clicker training may be helpful here. Someone else could probably help you more, but I'll try to explain it. Also keep in mind that I have some knowledge in this, but not so much with experience. I have used a clicker with my two dogs.
A clicker is a device that makes a clicking noise and is used as as training aid. (These are on the market, but you can actually use some pens as clickers, or so I'm told.) It's a marker, and bridges the gap between the amount of time it takes to let him know that he did what you wanted him to do and the time it takes for you to reward him with a treat. The clicker is more effective than a vocal marker for a few reasons, one being that it's easier to time.
First, you establish that click equals treat. Once he understands that concept, you begin using it for training.

What I'd suggest/do:
When he's put outside, and is behaving himself, click. Then get a treat out, open the door, give it to him, and let him in. This should let him know what good behavior is.

As far as playing rough with the cat, if you're not already, when this happens scold him and remove him from the situation

Sanka- I'll Miss You

Seems like the dog needs to know what to do rather than being punished for being a dog.

Telling them "no, bad dog" etc won't do a thing. Dog's don't speak English. And if you have to repeat said thing over and over again, you're doing more harm than good.

Train a leave it cue.

www.youtube.com

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 10/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

COCO

service dogs have to be very well behaved, i would go to an obedience class and also your dog has to pass the Canine good citizen test. I would get a consultant that focuses on sd training and have him evaluate your dog's weaknesses and strengths, also give you a game plan as to what you need to work on and the tools to solve the behavior.
remember that every bad experience or sloppy training is going to cost you time and money to fix. your dog is not a pet you can reprimand, but a working dog in training, every behavior is faced head on.

i have a 4mo aussie that is training to be an sd and the best command to teach is leave it and don't let your dog be anywhere with out a leash until he minds, that way the next time he lunges for a cat or plays rough you can say leave it and bring him to you on the leash, that way their is no need for punishment or putting the dog outside.
references www.drsophiayin.com is great and free also her new book is great for raising puppies.

COCO answered on 6/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer