How old do you have to be to volunteer at the Virginia SPCA?

I am 11 and want to help out at a shelter my mom is okay with it but I need to find out what age I have to be, Please Help!!

Asked by Member 1002766 on Sep 1st 2010 in U.S. Northeast

Answers

Belle

I'm not from Virgina, but when I wanted to help out an my local animal shelter, you had to be at least 16 to be by youself. Anything under than you needed a parents/slibling over 16. Hoped this helped a little bit.

Glad to see that you want to help out with a shelter. :)

Belle answered on 9/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The best way would be to phone them and find out! Most shelters have an age limit because of insurance & liability.

Natcho

Most of the time it's over 16.
But at the shelter in my city you have to be 16 and if you're younger have someone older than 18 with you.

Natcho answered on 9/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mattie

Most of the time shelters will not let you volunteer until like 18 :( but many rescues that have adoption events will let you volunteer with them to find some of your local rescue groups go to www.petfinder.com and call/e-mail some to see if you can help if one says no please do not give up :) Do you want to help other animals besides just dogs and cats call your local zoo, wildlife rehabilitation centers to find out more :) Also if you can not directly help with the animals have a collection drive at your school, scout troop, church, etc for your animal shelter collecting food, towels, money, etc. Have bake sales in your neighborhood and different creative ideas to raise money. However you decide to help here is a great website for even better ideas at www.animalsheltertips.com and vbspca.com (click on the links) GOOD LUCK! I am so glad that you are willing to help out animals.

Mattie answered on 9/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer